What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full websites

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am trying to access the full Toyota.com website but keep getting directed to the mobile site. Is there a way to force the loading of the full site??

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the alternative iPad browsers (I use iCab Mobile) allow you to set the browser details which you want presented to each website, e.g. MSIE or Google Chrome. This prevents them from directing you to the mobile versions of sites...
You can turn the settings on / off or "tune" as required for particular sites.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try another browser such as the free Terra or iCab which will allow you to change the identity of your browser.
iPad's safari tells the website you are using a mobile browser

I have iCab set to tell websites I'm running firefox and in Terra it's OSX Safari 5.
The option to change ID will be in their settings.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
I have iCab set to tell websites I'm running firefox and in Terra it's OSX Safari 5.
The option to change ID will be in their settings.

Thank you for the reminder! I had forgotten that option for iCab and it just solved the few issues I had with using the browser for things like gmail.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I had forgotten that option for iCab and it just solved the few issues I had with using the browser for things like gmail.

Scroll to the bottom of the mail list, in very small type you will find the link to the desktop version of the site. Works even in Safari. I had to have the pointed out to me too.

The Calendar link to the desktop version is much easier to find.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Scroll to the bottom of the mail list, in very small type you will find the link to the desktop version of the site. Works even in Safari. I had to have the pointed out to me too.

The Calendar link to the desktop version is much easier to find.

Thanks! I've never actually looked at Google's calendar - I rarely look at a calendar at all - and I don't know that I'd ever have seen that. You're right about how small the type is. It's also a lot easier to find in Google Docs.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I don't use Google Docs much. Just once or twice to test it. Ok, ok, I'll stop sidetracking the thread. :)

Not sidetracked. We're talking about full websites, after all. For what it's worth, I don't find the word processor in Google Docs to be too atrocious and it's the only one I know of accessible from the iPad that supports any form of versioning. Granted, the form in Google Docs is totally braindead, but it's more than nothing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I don't use Google Docs much. Just once or twice to test it. Ok, ok, I'll stop sidetracking the thread. :)

Not sidetracked. We're talking about full websites, after all. For what it's worth, I don't find the word processor in Google Docs to be too atrocious and it's the only one I know of accessible from the iPad that supports any form of versioning. Granted, the form in Google Docs is totally braindead, but it's more than nothing.

I don't use it because my need are limited. The few times I've needed to make a document on the iPad, Pages has been fine. Or even Notes, if it's real simple. But then, I don't need to share or track various versions of a document.

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found most mobile sites have a link to the full PC site. Usually at the bottom of the page in fine print.

Most reactions