What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen IPAD

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know any different ways to reset and IPAD. I have done a soft reset and a hard rest multiple times without success. The IPAD just keeps displaying an i-tunes logo with a picture of a usb cable. Every so often, it resets itself and displays an apple logo then ends up right back at the i-tunes/usb logo display. Do I need to take ot to a store, or does someone know hoe to do a "really hard" - hard reset?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect it to iTune with the proper cable.
On a new clean iPAD that should be the 1st move.
iPAD acts as a brainless machine, prior to a first connect with it's Mother - The iTune
( What I use to call "Apple's iTune Virus"

Any way, even if your iPAD was functioning properly till now, it seems that your iPAD is just showing signs of a Stroke. Maybe it lost it's mind, and behave like an out of the box device.

OP
E

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response

When I connect to I-tunes, i get an error saying that...

"i-tunes can not connect to the ipad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter a passcode on the ipad before it can be used with i-tunes".

Since the ipad is frozen, i can't enter a passcode (can't get past the display I was writing about before). Is there any other hard core way to reset an ipad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know any different ways to reset and IPAD. I have done a soft reset and a hard rest multiple times without success. The IPAD just keeps displaying an i-tunes logo with a picture of a usb cable. Every so often, it resets itself and displays an apple logo then ends up right back at the i-tunes/usb logo display. Do I need to take ot to a store, or does someone know hoe to do a "really hard" - hard reset?

Yes - there is a 'really hard - hard reset' but, as peled said, this shouldn't be the first step. One question - is this a 'new out-of-the-box' iPad? If so, you should absolutely follow peled's advice - a new iPad absolutely has to be connected to iTunes first of all - either on your PC or Mac. No way around this - no way at all.

If this is a problem that is occuring with an iPad that's been used for a while then you might be ready for the next stage - but, to be clear, what do you define as a 'hard reset'?

Let us know how you get on and we'll try to get back to you ASAP with some suggestions.

Tim
Scotland

OP
E

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank for your note.

This is an IPAD that I got for Christmas and has been working fine for a few months. I began to see this problem today. At this point, I am ready for a "very hard reset" or another IPAD. What is the next step?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what you defined as a 'Hard Reset' so you may have already done this.....so please accept my apologies if you have....

First of all, turn the iPad off...i.e hold the power button down for a few seconds until the slider control appears asking you to confirm that you want to switch off. Accept the invitation and wait until the rotating white bezel has disappeared as the iPad powers down.

Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time for about 30 seconds until the white Apple logo appears. It can seem like a real long time, so have patience. The iPad will then do a complete reboot and that, too, takes quite a time.

No apps or user data will be lost, so don't panic!

This is more-or-less as far as you can go, I believe, so I hope it works.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Tim
Scotland

OP
E

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok - thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Eric

OP
E

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Luck

I tried your suggestion but failed. I then tried another option for placing the IPAD in the recovery mode that I found on line. This got me almost back in business until I saw a new error in i-tunes...

"your IPAD may be damaged. We recommend that you take it to the nearest apple store"

That's where I'm headed tomorrow. Thanks again for your interest and your help.

Best Regards,

Eric

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear that. I'd be interested in what the store says. Keep in touch...

Tim
Scotland

OP
E

estiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my ipad in to an apple store yesterday and they confirmed that it was a dead soldier. They gave me a brand new replacement on the spot. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Eric

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, but figured I check here first before starting a redundant thread.

Just received a refurbished iPad 1 from Apple on Wednesday (mail order - no where near a retailer besides WalMart - no thanks) It froze, or locked up, or whatever the proper term is Friday, but I was able to connect still with I-Tunes and restored it. It spontaneously rebooted several times this weekend until tonight, when I tried to sync it and I got a "cannot connect" message in itunes (0xE8000068). Now the unit will only display the white apple logo for a minute or two, then go blank, then the logo again. endlessly, going on hour 3 as I type this.

No combination of switch holding changes the situation. Of course apple care is closed and only open at what is for me inconvenient hours.

Is there a way of just getting an RMA or whatever so I can send this lemon back and get it fixed replaced? I can't find crap on the apple website.

Sorry for the bitterness tone, but I keep trying to give apple a chance, but after a disappointing experience with a macbook air, and now this - I'm just no fan of them at all. Thanks very much for your assistance in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm truly sorry to hear of your bad experience and you do seem to have patiently tried everything to fix the problem.

OK - one last thing - probably not going to help, so don't get cross and, anyway, you've probably done this already - but just in case you haven't.....

You mentioned you've tried all the various reset combinations but I just wondered if you've done a complete 'reboot'? OK - as I said - you probably have and, if so, just ignore this post...

If the iPad is switched off, press and hold the 'Power' button and 'Home' button simultaneously for about 30 seconds - it can seem like a *very* long time - until the white Apple logo appears. Then the iPad will do a complete reboot - it takes quite a time, so go and make yourself a cup of coffee...

Well, probably didn't fix the problem - OK - one last thought and then I really will go away.....

You mentioned that the white Apple logo is sort of appearing and disappearing and it's been doing that for about 3 hours....OK - do you have it connected to your PC during this time? If so, the battery of the iPad won't be able to charge properly from the PC. A PC or Mac's USB port can only supply 500 mA, whereas the special iPad charger supplies 2A. So it's possible that, if you've left your iPad connected to your PC, the battery is about flat and that's causing the problem you're seeing.

Disconnect the iPad from the PC and connect it to the special iPad charger. Leave it for a couple of hours and then try to restart the iPad.

Again, please accept my apologies if none of this works....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, that you can fix the problem....

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Tim, you rock dude. I'm not having the problems they are but I just want to say I've seen several instances where you have been a great help to others
Sorry for the thread jack

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well heck, the holding the button for a minute seemed to work. Anyway, it is up and running again, thanks so much for taking the time to give me a detailed method to try.

I guess my only question now is, am I doing something to trigger this behavior?

When I had to reset everything the first time, I vowed to sync often as I got it set up with apps, email, etc. So this time, 95% of my work was restored so it wasn't as big a deal when it came to life tonight.

I thought it might be the USB cord, but out of the two I have, neither acted differently than the other. The only thing I can speculate is that this time around, my PC laptop was "asleep" and the ipad was plugged in when I woke it up and tried to sync. itunes never recognized the ipad after awakening the PC, no matter what I tried.

So my next action will be to only plug into the pc when syncing (I did know about the charging thing - but only after I first got it and noticed it wasn't charging and had to google that.) If you do have any theories or past history of situations that can cause the problem I experienced, please share - I just want a happy experience.

I do like the interfaces Apple has, but not having to utilize the creative side of it's expertise (video and artistic) I keep getting frustrated by little things - kids can't do their Club Penguin, Livestream doesn't work with it yet - stuff like that.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my ipad in to an apple store yesterday and they confirmed that it was a dead soldier. They gave me a brand new replacement on the spot. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Eric

Sorry to advise Eric but unlikley to be a 'new' ipad at all but re-conditioned. What this means is anyones guess but to me it means someone elses bad problem that was returned as not working, sent to factory to to opened up and re-worked/engineered again, bits replaced or repaired ???

Once a lemon always a lemon is my view. If you end up with trouble at the start you are always likely to have issues, like cars...

They told me mine was new, absolutely. Otherwise I would not have agreed to the change. I would have insisted on a refund or a brand new one out of a proper box.

When pressed on helpline (US call centre I think), they now only say "Replacements are fully working ipads with full functionality" They repeat this if you then ask "is that re-conditioned?"
"Its fully functioning ....yada yada".

My "new" one has just failed, lemon it is ... will make a sep post on this now.

Most reactions

Latest posts