Frozen IPAD

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by estiller, Mar 12, 2011.

1. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know any different ways to reset and IPAD. I have done a soft reset and a hard rest multiple times without success. The IPAD just keeps displaying an i-tunes logo with a picture of a usb cable. Every so often, it resets itself and displays an apple logo then ends up right back at the i-tunes/usb logo display. Do I need to take ot to a store, or does someone know hoe to do a "really hard" - hard reset?

2. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Connect it to iTune with the proper cable.
    On a new clean iPAD that should be the 1st move.
    iPAD acts as a brainless machine, prior to a first connect with it's Mother - The iTune
    ( What I use to call "Apple's iTune Virus"

Any way, even if your iPAD was functioning properly till now, it seems that your iPAD is just showing signs of a Stroke. Maybe it lost it's mind, and behave like an out of the box device.

3. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response

When I connect to I-tunes, i get an error saying that...

"i-tunes can not connect to the ipad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter a passcode on the ipad before it can be used with i-tunes".

Since the ipad is frozen, i can't enter a passcode (can't get past the display I was writing about before). Is there any other hard core way to reset an ipad?

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Yes - there is a 'really hard - hard reset' but, as peled said, this shouldn't be the first step. One question - is this a 'new out-of-the-box' iPad? If so, you should absolutely follow peled's advice - a new iPad absolutely has to be connected to iTunes first of all - either on your PC or Mac. No way around this - no way at all.

If this is a problem that is occuring with an iPad that's been used for a while then you might be ready for the next stage - but, to be clear, what do you define as a 'hard reset'?

Let us know how you get on and we'll try to get back to you ASAP with some suggestions.

Tim
    Scotland

5. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank for your note.

This is an IPAD that I got for Christmas and has been working fine for a few months. I began to see this problem today. At this point, I am ready for a "very hard reset" or another IPAD. What is the next step?

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't sure what you defined as a 'Hard Reset' so you may have already done this.....so please accept my apologies if you have....

First of all, turn the iPad off...i.e hold the power button down for a few seconds until the slider control appears asking you to confirm that you want to switch off. Accept the invitation and wait until the rotating white bezel has disappeared as the iPad powers down.

Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time for about 30 seconds until the white Apple logo appears. It can seem like a real long time, so have patience. The iPad will then do a complete reboot and that, too, takes quite a time.

No apps or user data will be lost, so don't panic!

This is more-or-less as far as you can go, I believe, so I hope it works.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Tim
    Scotland

7. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ok - thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Eric

8. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No Luck

I tried your suggestion but failed. I then tried another option for placing the IPAD in the recovery mode that I found on line. This got me almost back in business until I saw a new error in i-tunes...

"your IPAD may be damaged. We recommend that you take it to the nearest apple store"

That's where I'm headed tomorrow. Thanks again for your interest and your help.

Best Regards,

Eric

9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Very sorry to hear that. I'd be interested in what the store says. Keep in touch...

Tim
    Scotland

10. estiller

estiller
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I took my ipad in to an apple store yesterday and they confirmed that it was a dead soldier. They gave me a brand new replacement on the spot. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Eric