What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRONT Camera

lovehorses14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so I'm totally new to this sight and I have really no clue what I'm doing! Anyways I have a question I just got my iPad 3 and my front camera is all crappy while my back camera is really good quality. I was thinking its just that my iPad is messed up, but I'm wondering if its everyone's iPad that's messed up like that. Please respond:)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The front camera is of much lower resolution than the rear camera. It is intended only for FaceTime calls and the like.

It is around 0.7 megapixels, I believe, so it's really only good for video, definitely not still photography.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The front camera is of much lower resolution than the rear camera. It is intended only for FaceTime calls and the like.

It is around 0.7 megapixels, I believe, so it's really only good for video, definitely not still photography.

That was the iPad 2's front camera. It was VGA.

The iPad 3 front camera is 1.2 MP (720p HD video). Still meant mostly for FaceTime, so not a great camera for still's. About the same as the iPad 2's back camera, actually. It didn't take great stills either.

The back camera is 5 MB and 1080p HD, for comparison's sake.

OP
lovehorses14

lovehorses14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it. I thought it was because my iPad had a glitch to it but I was wrong. Though it really annoys me how apple didn't even want to give some of there time to make it a little better. Anyways my back camera works really well so I'm glad for that.

Attachments

• image-1629411482.jpg
    image-1629411482.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 330

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think about this in this way. Most people who buy iPads aren't going to buy them just to take pictures. And they're not going to buy them just to take pictures from the front so that is the reason why Apple isn't making a big issue out of it and rushing to production just to increase the res on the front camera as people don't care that the front is low res.

Food for thought.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That was the iPad 2's front camera. It was VGA.

The iPad 3 front camera is 1.2 MP (720p HD video). Still meant mostly for FaceTime, so not a great camera for still's. About the same as the iPad 2's back camera, actually. It didn't take great stills either.

The back camera is 5 MB and 1080p HD, for comparison's sake.

Thanks for that, TP. I should have noticed we were talking about the 3, not the 2.

iJamesH said:
Think about this in this way. Most people who buy iPads aren't going to buy them just to take pictures. And they're not going to buy them just to take pictures from the front so that is the reason why Apple isn't making a big issue out of it and rushing to production just to increase the res on the front camera as people don't care that the front is low res.

Food for thought.

IMO, it is better to have a low resolution camera on the front so that video doesn't hog bandwidth during FaceTime calls.

Porter33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Front camera is very best and you can make your own photo from the front camera of your phone this is techinc is introduce now in all the mobile phone models and i think this is the best and latest techninc for the all youngesters and all other photogrpahers for make your own photo easily and send to any body...

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the front camera the ones take pictures on. Always seems my hand isin the way.lol

And what is the back camera..the one that faces u? Does that play the videos? They're good but neither camera is good for me. Ipad 2

Sent from my iPad using iPFt

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BettiBz said:
Is the front camera the ones take pictures on. Always seems my hand isin the way.lol

And what is the back camera..the one that faces u? Does that play the videos? They're good but neither camera is good for me. Ipad 2

Sent from my iPad using iPFt

The front camera is the one that faces you when you're looking at the screen. The back camera is the one in the upper left corner of the back of the iPad. Both cameras can be used to make videos. The quality of the iPad 2’s cameras are; rear camera 0.7 megapixels.
front camera 0.3 megapixels.

In bright light the rear camera can take decent pictures. The front camera was never meant for much more than FaceTime video calls.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts