What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From iPad to iPad 2

rjstourb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will soon get the iPad 2 and will need to 'clear' my first iPad of Apps which I have downloaded and everything else as I need to pass this to someone else at work.

I can't quite get my head around the best way to do it!

What I want to is to have a 'clear' iPad and be able to sync my new iPad 2 so it has all my own stuff on it (ie everything which my current iPad has now).

Can anyone suggest a simple step-by-step way of doing this please?

Thanks

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would do one of two methods

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings

This will wipe the device if you dont have a computer and bring it back to when you first got it (Connect to itunes graphic)

OR

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

This method would allow you to backup your device and keep its data for future iPad / iOS devices

I hope this helps!

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sync your iPad 1, and then do a restore. That will erase everything. Then just sync your iPad 2.

Good luck with that, it ain't gonna work... I moved from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2, did a full backup of the old unit and then restored it back to teh new unit (multiple times) and still lost all folder settings, app-associated data and anything that was not in iTunes (e.g. MP3s, ebooks, etc). Major pain in the butt.

Get prepared for a day or two of pain while you set the new iPad up the way you want. :(

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ulrich said:
Good luck with that, it ain't gonna work... I moved from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2, did a full backup of the old unit and then restored it back to teh new unit (multiple times) and still lost all folder settings, app-associated data and anything that was not in iTunes (e.g. MP3s, ebooks, etc). Major pain in the butt.

Get prepared for a day or two of pain while you set the new iPad up the way you want. :(

Good to hear something from an iPad generation updater. :)

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not see any major issue moving from my ipad1 to ipad2. Sync does 99% of the job. I did have a major issue with one of my apps "Tap Tap Revenge 3" . the apps worked but i could not get the songs back to my ipad. the songs are tied up to your device and not to the itunes account.

i had to provide them with a UDID number of my ipad1 to get back all my songs. UDID No is a 26 character number which is visible only when you rightclick on your serial number when the ipad is connected to itunes.

before you dispose off your ipad, please keep all details of your ipad1 such as its serial number , UDID number in handy. you may need this information at a later date.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just back up the old iPad, then restore the new iPad and set the old iPad back to factory settings. I did that when I returned one for more storage. I didn't lose anything, except I had to re-enter all my passwords on email and some apps.

I did likewise with three other iPads (the restore part, though I renamed each one), but didn't have to set them back to factory settings, because those stayed in the family.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync your iPad 1, and then do a restore. That will erase everything. Then just sync your iPad 2.

I suggest you back up, then restore the iPad 2, before restoring the iPad 1 to factory settings, because if restoring the iPad 2 doesn't work, you have a chance to try something else. If you wipe out the iPad 1 before you restore the iPad 2 and it doesn't, work, you're out of the chance to try an alternative way.

Most reactions

Latest posts