What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh restore vs backup restore?

Purrson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On thread about updating to 5.0.1 I have seen several posts referring to "fresh restore my iPad and never restore from backup"

I am relatively new to apple with the original iPad being my first and only apple device but have maintained my own computers for years, but do not understand fresh restore vs from backup. I am assuming it means reinstalling all apps one by one, not synching from iTunes? But wouldn't that mean losing books, scores and having to get everything again?? Recently purchased new pc qnd getting things over time took forever, still know do not have all back.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On thread about updating to 5.0.1 I have seen several posts referring to "fresh restore my iPad and never restore from backup"

I am relatively new to apple with the original iPad being my first and only apple device but have maintained my own computers for years, but do not understand fresh restore vs from backup. I am assuming it means reinstalling all apps one by one, not synching from iTunes? But wouldn't that mean losing books, scores and having to get everything again?? Recently purchased new pc qnd getting things over time took forever, still know do not have all back.

What you've said is exactly right. If you do a "restore from backup," iTunes uses your most recent backup and puts it back on the iPad. This will include contact info, e-mails, songs, movies, books, documents, etc. Basically (well, in theory) a restore from backup puts your iPad right back to where it was at the time of backup - no info lost.

If you do a fresh restore, NOT from backup, it's as if you just got the iPad fresh out of the box. Nothing will be on it - you'll have to re-sign in to your router, re-build your e-mail accounts, manually load apps, etc.

So, most people try to avoid the second option, unless they are preparing a second iPad for a family member and only want to selectively pick some apps, music, videos, etc. Because, yes, having a clean slate iPad can be a pain. When I think of having to do that with my iPad (that I've had for 1 1/2+ years), it makes my head hurt! :D Generally, restore as new is a last ditch option, used if you suspect a backup is bad or has become corrupted.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do a "restore from backup," iTunes uses your most recent backup and puts it back on the iPad. This will include contact info, e-mails, songs, movies, books, documents, etc. Basically (well, in theory) a restore from backup puts your iPad right back to where it was at the time of backup - no info lost.

If you do a fresh restore, NOT from backup, it's as if you just got the iPad fresh out of the box. Nothing will be on it - you'll have to re-sign in to your router, re-build your e-mail accounts, manually load apps, etc.

Excellent post! Clarifies for me. :)

OP
P

Purrson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn mickey, saw some say recommend clean install rather then backup but thank you very much I am so NOT going that route.

Most reactions

Latest posts