What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freespace on 16GB Wi.

Wollongong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad since July and . have 9.2GB Freespace. I have 250 songs, 5 videos, 189 photos, 17 applications, including 3 Daily Newspaper Downloads. Will I get another year out of my iPad before I run out of Freespace, if I do not dowload any more Apps.? Thanks. David.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

In the grand scheme of things, apps take up very little space. By far, the biggest disk space hogs are videos. These can run 1gb or more each!

When you plug your iPad into iTunes on your computer, you will see a graphical representation of the contents of your unit. It is not the most current usage graphic, but here is my 16gb iPad --

ipad13.jpg

I have over 800 songs, some of which are full length symphonies so they take up quite a bit more room than and "average" song. If I played all the music on my iPad, it would take almost 3 days!

As far as videos, I only have 1 full length feature film (The Hunt for Red October if you must know!), one 1/2 hour TV show and a few YouTube videos and you can see how much room this small number of videos take up.

Photos... I have nearly 1000. Depending on the size and format, the don't take up much room.

Apps... I have over 60 and honestly, I could cut that number in half and not miss any of them.

Personally, I am not worried about running out of space any time soon!

OP
W

Wollongong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Freespace on 16GB

1991-C4. Thanks for your comments. My Usage graphic, today, shows Audio 0.9, Video 0.47,Photos 0.11, Apps 3.0, Books 0.04, other 3.4 ( do not know what this is) Freespace 9.2.

If I remove the 5 video podcasts of about 30 minutes each and the 24 You Tube Video clips, totaling about 30 minutes, will this increase my Freespace proportionally, or is it Once On-Always On? Regards David.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "Once On-Always On" means, but if you remove those videos, you will recover the space they occupied. You can always delete them from your iPad but keep them in your iTunes library on your computer so you can see them any time you want.

OP
W

Wollongong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16gb

I'm not sure what "Once On-Always On" means, but if you remove those videos, you will recover the space they occupied. You can always delete them from your iPad but keep them in your iTunes library on your computer so you can see them any time you want.
I thought that once you had downloaded to the iPad that the space used could not be recovered, hence the term"Once On-Always On"
In my previous reply I inadvertently said 3.4 GB for Other, it should be 0.34GB.
I wonder why my 17 Apps take up 3.0GB where your 80 Apps take up only 637MB

Thank you again for your comments. David.

Most reactions