[Free] Zinio - Ipad App Review

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by rhk111, Dec 24, 2010.

1. rhk111

rhk111 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [Free] Zinio - Ipad App Review

Zinio undoubtedly is the best iPad Magazine app that I have found so far. They offer a lot of magazine titles, including popular titles like "Maxim", "Car and Driver", "Rolling Stone", "Esquire", etc. And everyday, more magazine titles are being added.

Prices are roughly comparable to new issues for the hardcopy versions. The December 2010 issue of Popular Mechanics, for example, is only USD 4.99. And just like on magazine hardcopies, you get good discounts for subscriptions.

Navigation is easy, just tap on the screen to show the navigation bars on the top and bottom of the screen. You can skip thru pages at the bottom of the screen, and zoom in on each page if necessary.

Typical magazine file size is reportedly only about 10MB for titles without interactive content (i.e., videos, audio, etc.), which is a lot better than the 100MB file size on other dedicated magazine apps like Popular Mechanics, for example.

On the downside, while its library of titles are already extensive and growing, its still not enough on some areas. Some of the titles that I want like firearm titles are still not there as of now.

Also, some titles are available only for certain areas, like the "National Geographic" magazine, is only available for US buyers (major, major bummer). Although you do get a free sample of that title.

Most titles do not have back issues, they start from around when the iPad was released, around April 2010. Some titles do offer back issues from a year or so back.

The whole reading magazine experience does take getting used to, from a personal point of view, its not really as good as having hardcopy magazines in your hand. It takes a little bit more work panning around the pages as you browse thru the text and pictures.

Then again, you are able to carry a lot of magazines around you without a lot of weight and space. I would encourage everybody to try out the free magazines first, before making a purchase, to see if you can adjust to the new nuances of reading a magazine on the iPad. The app comes with four free samples, enough for you to try out using the app.

You need to register an account to buy issues, which also gives you the advantage of having all of your titles backed up on the web, so you can download them later if needed.

Update: I just found out, that you can sample magazines in the "Featured" section of the application. Just tap on a magazine, and the app will download some pages for you to be able to read.

There's also a free interactive magazine about the movie, "The Little Fokkers" that contains information about the stars in the movie. It also contains trailers, and some parts of the video of the making of the movie.

Here are some Youtube reviews:
    - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhnE8d3pclw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhnE8d3pclw[/ame]
    - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5WH3mN3MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5WH3mN3MM[/ame]

Here's the app at the iTunes store:
    - Zinio Magazine Newsstand & Reader for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Zinio Magazine Newsstand & Reader

By Zinio LLC

Description

If you love magazines Zinio is the app for you. This app contains free access to the top 20 articles from around the world. And we update them weekly so your Zinio experience never gets old. Better yet, once you register inside the app for a Zinio account, you can choose a free magazine subscription with no strings attached. With Zinio, you can enjoy any or all of our thousands of magazines from around the world. Many of the titles on Zinio enhance their issues with photo slides shows, video, and interactive elements like you have never seen before. Listen to the top 500 Greatest Songs of all Times inside Rolling Stone, Watch your glass of beer fill up while you read National Geographic Traveler, or test your fashion skills with VIvmag’s Hot or Not quiz. These are just a few of your favorite magazines inside the Zinio app.

Zinio fans love some of our fast, fun and fantastic features including:

** The ability to purchase single issues, subscriptions or back issues of every title
    ** The ability to buy it once and read it on any device you own through the Zinio UNITY â„¢ platform
    ** Enjoy an enhanced text reading mode for the long articles you love
    ** Delete magazines you don’t want to store on your iPad with ease (but never lose access to them)
    ** Link seamlessly to the web from articles and advertisements
    ** Discover content with improve mosaic and TOC views

And much more.

Price: Free
    Category: News
    Updated: Nov 29, 2010
    Current Version: 1.9.3
    File size: 9.3 MB
  2. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I tried Zinio when I first got my iPad, about a month after release. I didn't care for it - they seem to have a broad selection of general titles, but narrower on specific fields like cars, firearms, sports, etc. Their advantage over Pixel Mag is organization - all your mags are together in one app, where Pixel Mag creates a new app for each magazine. Less of an issue now that iOS4 supports folders.
  3. Nilef

Nilef iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Downloaded this. Now a big fan. Thank you.
  4. rhk111

rhk111 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wanted to try out Pixel Mag, but couldn't find it on my iTunes store. Its possibly one of those apps that are available on to the US and possibly other major markets.
  5. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Pixel Mag isnt an app, it's a service magazines use to make their content into apps. I read BMW Car and Total 911, which are Pixel Mag apps. I don't know what other agazines they do.
  6. rhk111

rhk111 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was pleasantly surprised to receive a USD 5 "Loyalty Gift" from Zinio last week. The gift will allow me to buy any magazine being offered by Zinio. If the value of the magazine is worth more than USD 5, then I will have to pay the balance. The only issue I have, is that you can't pay the balance by PayPal, you will have to give your credit card information to Zinio.

I am pretty happy to get a freebie from Zinio, all the more because I haven't really bought a lot of mazines from them. Since August 2010 up to now, I only bought ten magazines, totalling around USD 30-40. In contrast, I have bought around three to four times that number in comicbooks and graphic novels on Comixology, but have not been given any rebate or "Loyalty Gift" unlike that with Zinio.
  7. Bluray

Bluray iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've had Zinio since launch on my iPad 1. I now have around twenty magazines which I've subscribed to. It's really a must have app for anyone into reading magazines.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk