1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Free Trial Versions in App Store

Discussion in 'Apple iPad Polls' started by Ascendo, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Should Apple continue to prohibit free trials in the App Store?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    83.0%
  1. Ascendo

Ascendo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Should Apple continue to prohibit Free Trial Versions in the App Store?

Apple currently prohibits developers from offering free trial versions of their apps. Do you think prohibiting free trial versions is a good idea?

Best,
    Marc
    (iPad Developer)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  2. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Most developers have a free version and a paying version that has a tad more functionalities. Isn't that just about the same as a free trial version? I rather go this way.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    It would appear that while most, well many, well quite a few, well some developers are quite talented at developing apps, they are lacking in basic marketing skills. While it cost the developer for the privilege of being in The App Store, some of them put a rather steep price tag on their apps without offering a "lite" version. (Of course I mean steep when compared to most other apps and not compared to software packages for "real" computers.)

I have several apps that I tried in their "lite" version before buying the paid version. I look at developers like Cross Match Technologies, the folks who put out the Atomic browser. The paid version is a bank-breaking 99¢, but they also offer a "lite" version. This is genius on their part! While I am sure many people would have just shelled out the $1 to kick the tires, by letting people try it before they buy it, this virtually assures an upgrade to the paid version.

Developers, take your lessons from Richard Trautvetter, Sr Software Engineer for Cross Match Technologies. It is a great app backed up by simply elegant marketing.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yeah, I've spent $10 on apps only to find out an app doesn't work the way I need it to, or not as well as a competing app. There's only so much you can get out of a few screenshots and a page of text. A fully-functioning timed trial would be better, but the free versions that are currently allowed are helpful.
  5. Ascendo

Ascendo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not exactly because it forces developers to decide between offering a free version with in-app advertising or limiting features.

In-app advertising isn't a great option for security related apps such as password managers, so we chose to limit users to 10 items in the free version of DataVault. However, users don't always realize that a free version is meant as "try before buy" which leads to confusion.

Offering a full-featured trial version allows a developer to provide a complete experience with which a user can make their decision.

Marc
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  6. Ksane

Ksane iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A good share of the paid apps are ridiculously misleading in their descriptions. Apple wouldn't make a penny off them if there was such a thing as trial versions because no one in their right mind would buy them lol Apple knows that, they're not stupid. So I'm betting the only trials they'll allow would be for the programs that are really GOOD and useful that people would buy anyway.
  7. Arturo

Arturo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    android does trials no problem

Every single application on the android allows a trial. About 1hr. Because Google controls the store app there is really little risk unless some guy is that desperate to root their android. I just got my first iPad and I'm starting to feel turned off by big brother.
  8. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    If they continue to prohibit the use of free trials it will will result in 0 app sales IMHO!!

Sent from my Pink Hearts Sparkly Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF
  9. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Did you watch the keynote? Did you hear how many BILLIONS of dollars the App Store is bringing in? Though you may not like it, they clearly don't need to have free trials to sell apps.
  10. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    Well ... Maybe so; however, I won't be buying a bunch of apps that I don't anything about. That's just me. But it is not that serious to get into a written screaming match about it.

Sent from my Pink Hearts Sparkly Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF
  11. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    No one is screaming. You should make the request to Apple, but the store is clearly selling apps without this feature.... Lots of them
  12. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0
    I didn't hear any screaming either.

I would have thought that a free trial period would be a very good idea, why does apple not allow it. Wouldn't it cut down on refunds when people realize they have no need for an app or It doesn't do as they say. I have bought a few apps after trying the lite versions.
  13. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    The developer community has been asking for both free trials and full featured apps with an expiration date. If these are features you would like to see, ask Apple...
  14. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    • Like Like x 1
  15. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0
    Yes very interesting article. There's a lot to consider for developers and he made some very good comments.
    A great insight into their world.

Thanks Marilyn
  16. Proteus

Proteus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Mark,
    I landed here because I saw the phrase "free trial version available" on the Ascendo website with regard to DataVault for iPad. In trying to to get said version, I inadvertently bought the app... Which would be fine, except I wanted to know for certain if the app had an "Identities" feature (to use a RoboForm term) before I bought it. It seems that the answer to that is "No." Is it possible to get a refund if I decide that I can't life with no Identity feature to fill personal data into web form more involved than a simple userID & password?
  17. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    I understand that you can ask for a refund. No guarantees, but worth a shot, yeah?

So, using iTunes, try these steps (disclaimer: I've never tried to get a refund, so I don't know if this works):

1) Login to iTunes with your Apple ID and then go to the iTunes Store

2) Select "Account" (top right of menu)

3) Click on "Purchase History"

4) Under "Previous Purchases," click on the grey arrow to the left of the purchase you just made and for which you want a refund

5) You'll end up on a detail page, click the "Report a Problem" button

6) Then click the "Report a Problem" link that appears next to the item you want

7) You’ll be taken to a Report a Problem page, where you can select "I inadvertently purchased this application" and (optionally) input some comments

8) Click Submit.

My understanding is that a Customer Service rep from Apple will be in touch with you after that...

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Marilyn
  18. Proteus

Proteus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! Thank you for the great, detailed suggestion. I will certainly give it a try if need be. I'm still evaluating the app and it might just work fine for me... which would be preferable to forking over $20/year to the greedy RoboFormians.