What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free secure wifi

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 64GB wifi only version of the iPad 2. I'm currently looking for places to go that have free SECURE wifi. Every place that I've gone to (McDonalds, Borders, Barnes & Noble) the people that work there can't tell me what kind of security they have. And that INCLUDES the managers. I want to start using my iPad at bookstores, coffee shops, etc. But obviously I don't want to use unsecured lines. Any suggestions?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What stuff would you be doing in these places? Just general surfing?

As long as you do not use online banking services, using these places should be fine.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
You'll only get secure wifi when you either input the security password or if the admin allows you in.

If you use general public free wifi hot spots then these aren't secure. And it's pointless asking the staff as they won't know.

As mentioned, why worry if just browsing and doing general Internet stuff? Personally, I'd never use public wifi for sensitive info. But then again, you also need to assume someone's actually bothering to watch in and spy on you in the first place.

Just because you have an open channel dosnt make it a dangerous place to surf per se.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm...I knew my wifi was secure at home, but when out ~ I didn't know that. But I use 3G when I am out anyways ~ I think that always kicks on when I leave home...

Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, if the employes can't tell you, what security is in place, than they have none ;)

What you could do is use an app, such as VPN Express to browse the web, as that does encrypt your connection, so even though the local network will be unsecured, will all your data be secured.

But yes, if the wifi asks you for a password, it does have some encryption in place, if it doesn't ask for a password, than the wifi is unecured.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in Chicago in March and the Borders and Barnes & Noble WiFi hotspots are unsecured. Ditto for McDonalds (had my netbook with me at the time as my iPad arrived after I got back home).

Such public hotspots are fine for general browsing, reading and research, but as suggested, you don't want to do any personal banking or even online shopping at such sites.

Although the WiFi at the hotel required a password, I wouldn't consider it secure. But it sure did come in handy when looking for a particular restaurant.

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd suggest setting up a simple VPN endpoint at home. That way you open a secure tunnel between wherever you are and your router at home. So even if you're on unsecured Wifi, you are in effect, securely browsing the web using your Internet connection at home. For example, if you have reasonable tech skills, find a router that supports DD-WRT firmware and use the builtin PPTP VPN option, which works great on the iPad. (Not the absolute best VPN option, but it works reasonably well without investing in an expensive VPN concentrator)

wasabinuki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another alternative is to carry a travel router with you that allows you to create a new personal hotspot from an existing Wi-Fi network. With the travel router you can setup any encryption you want, and only connect the devices you give the passkey to.

Most reactions

Latest posts