What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free iPad

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, such a deal.

I was given a free iPad. A lovely iPad 1, stuck in recovery mode. All I have seen for the last few hours was that little USB Connector/iTunes globe. Can't get it unstuck. It apparently is running 4.3.3 if TU is correct. Can't use any of the recovery tools TU provides. Cannot use any of the recovery tools found on the web. "Make it Rain" is all I see when I run Blackra1n, but apparently, some files are missing or I am stupid, so Blackra1n does not work.

Cannot restore, cannot upgrade to 5.0 as my pal desires.

Any suggestions?

Yup, I read the sticky notes and I am blessed with a gifted brain and typically, problems like this do not tend to befuddle. I give up. iPad 1, Bob Zero. Whenever I search the web for problems, I usually end up here, at the IPF. It is where the gifted children play, so I'll post my query here.

I am thinking that I might start collecting broken iPads and with the help of a little grout and morter, I'll build me an iWall.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
image-779799645.png

aa

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Download latest redsn0w and use Extras > Fix Recovery - Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w iOS5beta

The other tools you mentioned are VERY VERY VERY old and were never designed for iPad or 4.3.x

If this method does not work, best bet is to use iFaith to extract the 4.3.3 blobs from the device, then use the same tool to build yourself a custom pre-signed 4.3.3 firmware and install it. From there you can jailbreak using jailbreakme.com. Whilst you'll lose whatever's on it, at least you will get back a 4.3.3 JB iPad, which is still the golden firmware in terms of untethered goodness.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Download latest redsn0w and use Extras > Fix Recovery - Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w iOS5beta

The other tools you mentioned are VERY VERY VERY old and were never designed for iPad or 4.3.x

If this method does not work, best bet is to use iFaith to extract the 4.3.3 blobs from the device, then use the same tool to build yourself a custom pre-signed 4.3.3 firmware and install it. From there you can jailbreak using jailbreakme.com. Whilst you'll lose whatever's on it, at least you will get back a 4.3.3 JB iPad, which is still the golden firmware in terms of untethered goodness.

Will Do, f4780y. And thanks.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried your suggestion, F4780y and the problem would likely be fixed if I could turn off the device. Cannot enter DFU mode apparently. I guess I'll forget it for now, unless you know of some SW that can turn the device off. Anyway, thanks again.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
I tried your suggestion, F4780y and the problem would likely be fixed if I could turn off the device. Cannot enter DFU mode apparently. I guess I'll forget it for now, unless you know of some SW that can turn the device off. Anyway, thanks again.

You don't need to turn off the device. That is a misnomer, not helped by every jailbreak tool out there instructing you to turn off the device. Just pretend you turned it off and follow the instructions. ALL devices can be put into DFU mode unless they have broken buttons.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it is done. Success.

It took f4780's advice and a copy of iFaith, but it finally worked. I tried 23 (I kept track) time to put the iPad into DFU Mode, but it worked. I am not sure what did the trick: perseverance or faith in iFaith. We tried burgers and fries then a little prayer, then back to the PC. Eventually, it got there. Odd thing was, it was NOT running 4.3.3. It was running 4.2.1. After it went into DFU Mode, I was told I had to install iTunes 1.0.5.6.7.8.9.12 or whatever the current version is.

After upgrading iTunes, I was told my device was in recovery mode and iTunes up and quit.

I yelled.

Then the iPad started up normally and iTunes started running normally. iTunes started and no warnings about recovery.

Anyway, there was some cussing and drinking. THANKS TO YOU f4780, and a tip-o-the-hat. My success must be due to your advice.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't need to turn off the device. That is a misnomer, not helped by every jailbreak tool out there instructing you to turn off the device. Just pretend you turned it off and follow the instructions. ALL devices can be put into DFU mode unless they have broken buttons.

Interesting. I always took it as gospell because those that should know tell us what to do. Thanks for the help.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have decided to rid my life of anything with an 'i' in front of it. Clearly, I either need to give up or take a rest or return to paper notebooks, pens, and pay phones.

Today, I decided to update my iPod. After trying to jailbreak the little stinker, I gave up. Nothing I could think of would work. I double-checked the firmware file, downloaded the proper tool and nothing worked. Redsn0w failed me as did greenpois0n. I rebooted my PC after a problem with my USB ports.

Then after an hour or so of listening to the bloody cat playing with something under the desk, I was fed up and discovered something: My cat saved me. I forgot to plug in the cable.

I need a break and some egg nog with a little extra nog.

Most reactions

Latest posts