What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free apps no longer free?

granthaddon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When trying to download any free app I am prompted for my password then sent to the payment screen wanting credit card details. Is this new that free apps are no longer free?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When trying to download any free app I am prompted for my password then sent to the payment screen wanting credit card details. Is this new that free apps are no longer free?

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Free apps should still be free, and even when purchasing a paid app, you should only be asked for the password of the Apple ID that's already set up on your iPad.
The reasons for you experiencing this could be:

You changed your payment method not long ago.
Or perhaps the billing of a previous purchase has failed.

Last edited:

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It means you have not filled up your credit cards details. Select on none on the list of credit cards brands, or if it what its called. Its at the very first.

nathanjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. First of all you have to enter your credit card details after that you will be able to use free apps. It's free but it will be paid after 2 or 3 months, then the ammount of that app is deducted from your account automatically.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. First of all you have to enter your credit card details after that you will be able to use free apps. It's free but it will be paid after 2 or 3 months, then the ammount of that app is deducted from your account automatically.

No, this is not true. Free apps are free - you don't pay for them 2 or 3 months later. The only way you spend money on a free app is if you do an in-app purchase from within the app itself.

Additionally, if the app originally costs money but then is offered free in a promotion, it will always be free to you - even if you remove it from your iPad and decide to download it again later [when the price may have gone up]. You "bought" it when it was free - there is no money involved.

Marilyn

rjkgr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
u just need to fill in the credit card information again because your exp. date either expired or you never put one in, because that what happen to me

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if this is not a reliable app you should not share your credit card information, yes some apps are partially free or are given to users for a small trial period after which they will ask for you to pay some money for complete license.

Most reactions

Latest posts