What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum and Apple/iPad 2 (Newcomer)

HTK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

I've always admired Apple for their products and OS. But never owned any of them directly because they were always over priced. But, seeing as iPad has jumped into the game it has changed the price factor and iPad 2 kinda proves that with the competition out there.

I'm one of those people that understands both sides, but quite frankly for the last 10+ years of using Windows as my primary way of computing I've grown tired of it.

Managing crap that's always running in the background, virus protection software and all the other junk that comes with Windows has really pushed me away from the brand. Not saying anything concrete here but let's just say I've grown tired of maintaining the vehicle. In fact the machine should work for me, I should not work for the machine.

Right now, I'm looking to take a dive into my first Apple product which is obviously the iPad 2. It seems to be the most affordable Apple product I can buy since the laptops and desktops are out of my range.

I'm looking to replace my desktop, which I've used only for Web, Email, Videos, Hulu, Netflix and Skype. Based on the thing's I've posted I wanted to get a general feel on how iPad/2 handles the software such as Skype, Hulu etc... etc...

If I can just get some thoughts from you guys about normal things we do that iPad may have simplified. I sometimes manage websites and was surprised to see that iPad's have the FTP software. It almost seems like for simple things that I do on my Desktop that ipad does it but more portable and easier.

All I'm trying to do is simplify, something Windows in my opinion fails to do with each iteration.

Also, this site has way to many ad's. ;)

Thanks.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
welcome.

First off, while you can do all those things (except basic Hulu, only Hulu Pro) it will not completely replace your desktop. You will still need iTunes to register the iPad and for all iOS upgrades.

I still use my laptop (and a good, fast one) for gaming and photo and video production and for maintaining my iTunes Library (560gb and growing). It is just part of the equation. the iPad is generally used for all surfing and email and a lot of other things I used to use the laptop for. Makes it nice not having to boot the laptop when the iPad is instant on.

OP
H

HTK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, But I dont have a crazy library of music. Maybe about 1 or 2 gigs... But I see what you're saying though. I'm sure my music, book, game libraries will grow. But since I'm starting fresh, hopefully next iPad will have more than 64GBs which should be expected at some point.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
The iPad 2 is being released today and only goes up to 64 GB. Don't expect the 3rd edition until next year. If you are going to wait on "the latest" then you will never get one. The latest is here.

You will still have to use iTunes to register the device and update the OS when the updates are made available. iTunes is not going away.

Most reactions