What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Facebook App Developer Praises iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-facebook-app.jpg

Joe Hewitt, the brains behind the Facebook App which has become one of the most popular apps for the iPhone says the iPad is “Everything He’s Been Wishing For†according to TheiPhoneBlog.com

iPad is exactly the product I’ve been wishing for ever since I wrapped my mind around the iPhone and its constraints. While the rumor mill was churning with all kinds of crazy possibilities for the Apple tablet, I mostly rolled my eyes, because I felt strongly that all Apple needed to do to revolutionize computing was simply to make an iPhone with a large screen. Anyone who feels underwhelmed by that doesn’t understand how much of the iPhone OS’s potential is still untapped.

Hewitt claims the biggest constraint he had in making the ultimate Facebook app was screen size, and the iPad removes that completely. As to the “closed†nature of the iPhone as a platform?

The one thing that makes an iPhone/iPad app “closed†is that it lives in a sandbox, which means it can’t just read and write willy-nilly to the file system, access hardware, or interfere with other apps. In my mind, this is one of the best features of the OS. It makes native apps more like web apps, which are similarly sandboxed, and therefore much more secure. On Macs and PCs, you have to re-install the OS every couple years or so just to undo the damage done by apps, but iPhone OS is completely immune to this.
{Source: TheiPhoneBlog.com}

GarynDallass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facebook games

Facebook games uses Flash and the IPad won't have so that, so I am thinking that you want be able to do that. I am not a big game player, on my IPhone the games are so small. The IPad should be larger and the games should be more fun.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facebook games uses Flash and the IPad won't have so that, so I am thinking that you want be able to do that. I am not a big game player, on my IPhone the games are so small. The IPad should be larger and the games should be more fun.

luckily adobe air can easily convert flash apps to iphone apps ;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Farmville application show up on the iPad :)

As much as I loathe Farmville and everyone that spammed my wall with it (until they finally let you block it! THANK YOU FB!!) I do recall an iPad tester leaking on release day (actually prior to release day) that he was playing Farmville on the iPad.....so as long as that is true (and I think it is) you will get all your farm wasting time on the iPad soon.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, don't worry about that- I do not dare touch Farmville either :p But there's no doubt it'd be a huge success on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts