What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot Passcode

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't remember Passcode so what next to get going again?
Which passcode did you forget? If it's the one you use to unlock your iPad, the only way to gain access to your iPad is to connect it to iTunes on your computer and do a factory restore. This will erase everything on the iPad and unless you have a backup that does not include the forgotten passcode, you'll have to set it up as a new iPad.

OP
B

barmar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which passcode did you forget? If it's the one you use to unlock your iPad, the only way to gain access to your iPad is to connect it to iTunes on your computer and do a factory restore. This will erase everything on the iPad and unless you have a backup that does not include the forgotten passcode, you'll have to set it up as a new iPad.
Yes, it's the unlocking passcode on a very new iPad mini so there's not much on it and it's never been hooked up to a computer. So, a factory restore is the way to go I guess. Any problem hooking it up to my laptop that has iTunes installed and an iPod and my wife's iPad 2 registered on it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's the unlocking passcode on a very new iPad mini so there's not much on it and it's never been hooked up to a computer. So, a factory restore is the way to go I guess. Any problem hooking it up to my laptop that has iTunes installed and an iPod and my wife's iPad 2 registered on it?
iTunes knows the difference between the different devices and whatever you do with one device will not affect any other devices.

OP
B

barmar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes knows the difference between the different devices and whatever you do with one device will not affect any other devices.
Thanks Scifan57--probably won't get around to it until after Christmas. Merry Christmas!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

BTW, giving a unique name to each device synced to iTunes on your computer will help you in selecting the right backup to restore from.

OP
B

barmar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Scifan57--probably won't get around to it until after Christmas. Merry Christmas!!
Just thought of other issues. The iPad Mini belongs to my sister-in-law and I helped her set it up initially--email (Gmail), password, Apple ID, etc--and gave her a list of all the details which, unfortunately, she has lost/misplaced hence our current dilemma . So, when I restore the device as you've suggested I suppose I'll have to reset the other stuff as well--new email, passwords, Apple ID, etc. Correct?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought of other issues. The iPad Mini belongs to my sister-in-law and I helped her set it up initially--email (Gmail), password, Apple ID, etc--and gave her a list of all the details which, unfortunately, she has lost/misplaced hence our current dilemma . So, when I restore the device as you've suggested I suppose I'll have to reset the other stuff as well--new email, passwords, Apple ID, etc. Correct?
This may help your sister-in-law recover her Apple ID and password if she's forgotten them. Recover Your Apple ID - Apple
If she can get access to her Apple ID, she'll be able to download and use any apps she previously purchased.
Of course, if she still remembers her Apple ID and password, this won't be necessary.

You'll have to set it up as a new iPad and add in the details you or she can remember or recover.

This time when you write down all those details, keep a copy in a safe place in case this happens again.

Most reactions

Latest posts