What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot my restriction code for my settings!

NHernandez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set the 4 digit pass code under the setting so if my iPad was lost or stolen no one could turn off the tracking or the iCloud. Well of course now I can not remember what it is. I have tried everything I could think. Am I just out of luck or is there any way around this?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are some tools for reading backup files that might help. Google a bit.

A full device wipe and restore will work...

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tiffanyndlin said:
Hi I forgot my restriction code too and it won't let me erase all settings or do the full device wipe. Please help

Restore from a backup that does NOT have restrictions locked down or if one is not available...

Perform a full backup through iTunes then restore factory settings aka wipe the iPad.

Then use iTunes to sync back apps, music, photos, videos and documents. Do NOT restore...sync and the end result should be current iPad image with restrictions unlocked.

There are no shortcuts, they would defeat the purpose of the security setting.....sorry.

mazhar8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i forgot my restriction code and cant remember it, how can i reset it please

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mazhar8888 said:
i forgot my restriction code and cant remember it, how can i reset it please

I'm afraid there is no way for you to recover your restrictions password. If you can't remember it you will have to erase your iPad and restore it to factory settings. If you have a backup saved,you can set up your iPad from the backup. You will need a backup done that doesn't have the restrictions password in it or you'll have the same problem all over again.
You can wipe the iPad and do the restore from iTunes on your computer.

Last edited:

Joyse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have my restriction code. I see ads that promise to recover my code without having erase and restore to factory settings. Has anyone tried these services. Do they work or is it a gimmick.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are a gimmick. Apple has done a very good job in securing an iDevice with the pass code. If you forget it, the only way you'll be able to get into the iPad is to do a full restore using the iTunes you initially synced with.

Anyone who tells you differently is just trying to take your money.

Marilyn

Casisrad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never set a pass code for my restrictions........so this is just nuts! There has got to be an easier way!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Casisrad said:
I never set a pass code for my restrictions........so this is just nuts! There has got to be an easier way!

I'm afraid that there is no easier way. There is no way for Apple or anyone else to recover a password. The restore to factory settings is the only way to regain full use if your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts