What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force to use OpenDNS

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any way to force an iPad to always use OpenDNS (or other) DNS servers, regardless of current connection/location? So if you're in a public wifi, it would also be using OpenDNS servers, and not those issued by the local wifi provider's router... (or even further... to actually use your own OpenDNS settings, e.g. utilizing blocked domains, anywhere).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it overrides public servers/DNS, but you can manually enter DNS settings on the iPad. Go to your Settings app > General > Network > WiFi and press the arrow next to any one of your WiFi Networks. The DNS setting is there.

Now, i don't know how to fiddle with it to change it or make the changes stick (you may have to make a static setting cause the DHCP setting, being dynamic, may change every time as it tries to connect to the router). But, I should think you can fiddle with it...

So, there's the location. If you do change it - and it works/stays changed - can you let us know? I'd be curious myself on how or if it works.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and let you know. I know that a similar trick works in Windows (i.e. if you enter DNS manually in the connection's properties, DHCP will only obtain IP, gateway, and such, but not DNS).

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Well, I don't know if it overrides public servers/DNS, but you can manually enter DNS settings on the iPad. Go to your Settings app > General > Network > WiFi and press the arrow next to any one of your WiFi Networks. The DNS setting is there.

Now, i don't know how to fiddle with it to change it or make the changes stick (you may have to make a static setting cause the DHCP setting, being dynamic, may change every time as it tries to connect to the router). But, I should think you can fiddle with it...

So, there's the location. If you do change it - and it works/stays changed - can you let us know? I'd be curious myself on how or if it works.

Marilyn

You have to do it for each WiFi connection of cpurse, but the settings will stick with the connection. I use Google's DNS servers instead of OpenDNS for all my connections except my home one and it works great.

Most reactions