What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I deliberated in the Apple Store, over whether to buy wifi only or wifi+3G. In the end, I opted for wifi only as there are quite a few wifi hotspots now and where there isn't, I can tether using MiWi on my 3GS.
The other thing that swung it for me was the all silver rear. I didn't like the 3G's black strip across the top. To me, it looks like a gripper to hold onto it.
3G eats battery power too (thats if my iPhone is anything to go by!).

I don't intend to leave home that much with it. I can't take it to work with me, so I'll just be using it at home and on days off. If I go on holiday, I'll take it with me as they fit nicely in the room safes and they tend to have wifi in the hotels these days.

Mark K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.
I am looking for a 3G version now, after using iPad2 wifi version for a few weeks.

ceb72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.
I am looking for a 3G version now, after using iPad2 wifi version for a few weeks.

I took mine back to target and picked up the 3G at the apple store.

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laughsalot said:
Can I tether my ipad2, to my GPS system and become mobile? :confused: I have an 32g wifi.

Yes, but only with a supported gps - gns, xgps150 or bad elf, and a gps app with offline maps like Navfree, MotionX etc.
Has anyone tried a Deluo bluetooth gps with the wifi ipad2 (instead of the 'supported' ones)?

Last edited:

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ampress said:
Has anyone tried a Deluo bluetooth gps with the wifi ipad2 (instead of the 'supported' ones)?

Any Bluetooth gps other than the supported ones simply do not work on an iPad 2.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm using my (rooted) EVO's hotspot feature and just connect the iPad to that. No point paying for 3G twice....and I'm in a 4G area so I don't feel the need to have a 3G iPad when I can just connect to my EVO's 4G hotspot.

airhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow; 98 replies so far; just my two cents but i'm fine with my wifi version; sure, it'd be nice to always be connected but it's just something that'd be nice, not necessary, for me.

dayangheimy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi 64gb only. In Japan iPad supposed to be connected to fon wifi for free, but I never received any password for that since I am ordering from apple store. At home I connected my iPad using MacBook airport. I am tempted to buy the 3G version at first but after owning the iPad i don't see any point of that.

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since my evo 4g is rooted and always on tethering, it's like my iPad 2 is always online. Funny thing is.....it seems to surf and download faster than my actual phone. Which is odd. But I love my 32g wifi only. Would not trade it for anything.

Sent from my 32g White Wifi only iPad 2 using iPF

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can no less than concur with many here: I see no real reason (for me, at least) to spend about 150 bucks, and the monthly cost of a subscription ontop of that, more, when there's so many WiFi spots around. The WiFi-only version is enough for me. Seeing also, as I have unlimited internet access on my phone, there's no need for a 3G version. As long as I can maintain the juice in the phone battery, I will certainly cope... ;-)

//Stefan

JChidester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.reunionwebcoach.com
Does anyone know if the hotspot data plan is a two year contract or a month by month deal

It's a day-to-day.

That is you can start it anytime and stop it anytime. It's prorated on your monthly bill. $40 a month ATT Call 611 on your iPhone4 and ask them for iPhone tethering. "Stock code IPTC". My local ATT rep says to call them the day before you want it started.

boricua1064

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi only but I have the clear wimax. Which is 4g and un-limited data.. I only pay less than 30 a month and have wireless everywhere...

Most reactions

Latest posts