What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laughsalot said:
Can I tether my ipad2, to my GPS system and become mobile? :confused: I have an 32g wifi.

I don't think there are any confirmed cases of this yet.

swaggapad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone buying an iPad and not owning an iPhone or an iPod .I got the wifi iPad because there was no logic to pay for 2 data plans when I could just tether the Internet on my iPhone.
Battery sure lasts longer then on the 3G model and that's just great

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

I bought a iPad2 and I don't own anything Apple whatsoever. I wanted a tab and this is clearly the best out there for the right price. So i have the 32Gb wifi version and tether with my Atrix when no wifi is around.

And while i like Android and all, no one is about to pry my grimy paws from this iPad anytime soon....lol :D

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forget wifi and 3G.... I know several dozen people who have no idea why anyone would buy an iPad in the first place :) The bottom line is that we buy what we find useful whether it is or not.

My mobile phone is supplied by my employer. I can use it for personal use and they pay the whole bill each month... The downside is that they won't let me get a 'hotspot' type phone. They only pay for a voice/texting plan so I can't do any tethering.. But on the upside, my cell phone costs are zero dollars a year. :)

I got the iPad mainly for browsing while I'm on the road. My job often takes me out to the boonies where there are no WIFI spots.. I can't tether..... There's no WIFI... So, my iPad had to be a 3G model.

I didn't know when I bought the 3G model that there was a dedicated GPS unit built inside. This was a real bonus. If I draw out out my cupholder, the iPad sits right in the middle of the dash of my F150 truck. I downloaded the GPS Drive app and then gave the Magellan GPS unit I had to a relative.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevbo said:
They are cracking down on tethering. I wouldn't be surprised if the party ended in six months.
This is what people would call a WAG (wild ass guess)!
I don't do WAG, I do SWAG. (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) :D Of course, it's not a TLA, but a FLA... :p

You guys are making my headache from hell worse.:(

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what people would call a WAG (wild ass guess)!
I don't do WAG, I do SWAG. (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) :D Of course, it's not a TLA, but a FLA... :p

You guys are making my headache from hell worse.:(
Now, now! This isn't something to think about - it's something to laugh at. I get inundated with alphabet soup at work, where they're really impressed with it. I, on the other hand, think it's a big joke.

Fairlight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in uk and have an iPhone3 and iPad2.
I have tethered them using Bluetooth rather than wireless.
I only turn on Bluetooth when I need it on both so as to preserve battery but at least it turns my iPad into more use when out and about if I need the internet.
Much better than getting 3G iPad...for me.

iomega311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iceman72 said:
I have a 32g wifi only and I am 100% glad I did not get a 3G version. I rooted my sprint evo and use the tethering software and it's beautiful! I can't even tell that it's not plugged directly into a router (as if that was possible) but it's that fast!

I did the same thing. I have a rooted Evo with unlimited data. If I need WiFi, it's as simple as clicking an app and putting the phone back in my pocket. I get super fast speeds. Can hardly tell a difference between it being tethered to my phone or running off my cable WiFi connection at home... Well, except for streaming a Netflix movie, but even then it's not bad. VERY glad I went with WiFi only. No need for two data plans! :)

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laughsalot said:
Can I tether my ipad2, to my GPS system and become mobile? :confused: I have an 32g wifi.

Yes, but only with a supported gps - gns, xgps150 or bad elf, and a gps app with offline maps like Navfree, MotionX etc.

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi only works great for me. I wouldn't want to take my iPad out the house anyways too scared lol. Im sure you could use hotspots and it would work just the same.

chgough

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in the UK and have set up the iPhone 4 'Personal Hotspot' option via Vodafone my service provider. I deliberately bought an iPad 2 wi-fi version as I had been 'tethering' my MacBook Pro successfully via the hotspot option. It works well - I find that I need to power down both the phone and the iPad if the iPad has been connected via my home wi-fi router before going 'out and about'. Apart from that - great. i was in an office the other day and my iPhone and the iPad were three floors apart and the iPad still had internet access.

katydid1952

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for mentioning you have to power down your iphone and ipad to get the personal hotspot connection to work after using your home network. I've been trying for days to figure out why both my phone and ipad said I was connected but I couldn't get online.

Using the personal hotspot is just a trifle inconvenient -- keeping the phone handy and turning that feature on and off, but those are minor when compared to the savings. The ipad was $130 less so I went with the 64g instead of the 32. Also, the net increase in my data plan was only $15 per month. Definitely worth it!

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I refuse to sign anymore contracts with Verizon so I just use my Thunderbolts LTE hotspot and it's superfast.

Most reactions

Latest posts