What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also go to their website and check your monthly usage. I had one month which is
last Oct of 2010 that was 5 gb but then I don't remember if I was streaming with Pandora and slacker app or I was using MyWi.

I do, but I also have the My AT&T app on my iPhone and check the data usage pretty regularly. Keep track of it on a day to day basis. The most data I've used was one of the first months I had it last year from streaming Netflix via 3G and used about 1.6GB of data.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks you guys for sharing that I need MyWi only on my iPhone to share it's 3G connection.
I knew that ;)

What I want to know though, is if anyone has had MyWi On Demand on both their iPhone and iPad (I think the iPhone 3G connection is shared via Bluetooth this way) and how the battery life on both devices are affected.
Thanks as always.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Using mywi on iPhone would takes maybe 5 to 10% of your battery faster. Also there is a setting in there where you could compensate your mb transfer rate versus battery life. The higher you set your mb transfer rate the faster the battery will consumed. As far as iPad 2 with mywi, I never experience using one.

mikesong0323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dabears said:
Using mywi on iPhone would takes maybe 5 to 10% of your battery faster. Also there is a setting in there where you could compensate your mb transfer rate versus battery life. The higher you set your mb transfer rate the faster the battery will consumed. As far as iPad 2 with mywi, I never experience using one.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone 4 jail broken running mifi creating a hotspot and using the iPad2 that way instead of paying for the 3G.

If it is AT&T than wait for bill for this, I read about about two weeks ago. They knew you are using illegal hotspot.

I use MyFi on my Jailbroken iPhone 4 and my bill is the same as always. But I also stay around 1GB of data with my iPhone. My data usage since using MyFi to tether hasn't changed that much, so I don't think they've noticed.

I am sure they will end this one way or another, it is illegal.

04DarkShadowGT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone buying an iPad and not owning an iPhone or an iPod .I got the wifi iPad because there was no logic to pay for 2 data plans when I could just tether the Internet on my iPhone.
Battery sure lasts longer then on the 3G model and that's just great

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

Why? I don't have an iphone or any other apple product for that matter.

I just liked the iPad, whats so hard to understand about that?

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
04DarkShadowGT said:
Why? I don't have an iphone or any other apple product for that matter.

I just liked the iPad, whats so hard to understand about that?

Very true,
IPhones aren't for everyone. My wife has one but I have no desire for one. My work/profession requires encryption and specific signage for email and data. iPhone doesn't qualify etc. And even if it did, tethering wouldn't be an option.

My first iPad was wifi only. My daughter now has it and the wife and I have 3Gs. The additional cost at purchase for 3G is the only con.

Tethering wether JB or not will be controlled eventually. And many have no desire to JB.

The entire pro for the wife and I with iPad is it's ability to be an independent, "not tethered" device.

3G allows that.

wnaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + 3G

While I agree with everything that was said, my approach to buying has always been to look at the limits of a device (never out-limit yourself). I always take in mind that you can not add hardware to the device so once you buy it you are stuck with it. While you don't have to use 3G the fact is that you have it (a rainy day concept). If the cost is not prohibitive always go a step up.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree with everything that was said, my approach to buying has always been to look at the limits of a device (never out-limit yourself). I always take in mind that you can not add hardware to the device so once you buy it you are stuck with it. While you don't have to use 3G the fact is that you have it (a rainy day concept). If the cost is not prohibitive always go a step up.

I agree except for one point. The carriers are going to new technology ... Verizon with LTE ... non of the 3G units are compatible. The main antenna technology for Verizon is CDMA. That is 3G. So it works for now. Depending where you are Wi-Fi can be faster data transfer also.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. I didn't want to pay another monthly data plan fee. I don't have wi-fi at work and that sucks big time :(

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While said:
I can't imagine someone buying an iPad and not owning an iPhone or an iPod .I got the wifi iPad because there was no logic to pay for 2 data plans when I could just tether the Internet on my iPhone.
Battery sure lasts longer then on the 3G model and that's just great

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

Why? Please explain. I have an iPad 2 and an android phone and I don't understand.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more on this statement.

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really boils down to what you already own. I use to have the iPad + 3G and now have the ipad2 wifi only. I used the 3G aspect a few times while traveling in the last year, but it always cost me $25 for the month to turn it on, then off, on top of the $130 more I spent to buy it. Now I can turn on & off Personal Hotspot for $20/month and save the initial $130 on top of it.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more on this statement.

I kind of agree. In a sense you cannot add hardware, RAM, Memory, and other upgrades even a Laptop can do. On the other hand there are many and growing number of solutions that are externals or adaptor based. The lack of built in Floppy Drives didn't stop Macs of the early 2000s from using 3rd party USB drives. People got serial cable adaptors, ADB adaptors, and so on. We see the same thing with the iPad.

I can get a 4G MiFi and an external blutooth GPS, which allows me to go beyond just my iPad and give my iPod 4G and GPS as well. These can also connect to a laptop or in the futue an iPad 5 or 6. I can upgrade/replace them as technology improves. I could do the same with the iPad speakers by getting an external speaker doc or even AirPlay enable speaker. (I don't have 3 or 4G because I dont want a data plan, the gps is shipping)

I do agree that having a feature baked into the hardware is often better, just like the cameras. However there is a great deal of hardware that could also be supported as an external if Apple would open up or add the key software drivers. At this point the iPad is more limited by it's software then by it's hardware. Take iMovies import limitations which have been discussed on this forum.

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think if you have a phone that can be a hot spot it's kinda pointless to have the 3G versions. Especially if you have an android. Your talking free Internet service. Can't beat that.

Most reactions