What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

mikesong0323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shellready said:
I have a wifi only iPad 2 and I love it. When I need 3G i tether with my iPhone 4. I read some users say the GPS is a big deal. What apps are people using where u need the gps?

I've got myself a wifi only iPad 2. And I know I'm going to miss the A-GPS that's in the 3G models.
I've been using the navigation app 'Navigon' on my iPhones for the past two years now, and would have loved to see it on the iPad.
I know that there's a tweak on Cydia that allows the iPad to use Bluetooth enabled gps modules, and so I'm really looking forward to having my iPad 2 jailbroken!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone buying an iPad and not owning an iPhone or an iPod .I got the wifi iPad because there was no logic to pay for 2 data plans when I could just tether the Internet on my iPhone.
Battery sure lasts longer then on the 3G model and that's just great

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only iPad 2 and I love it. When I need 3G i tether with my iPhone 4. I read some users say the GPS is a big deal. What apps are people using where u need the gps?

Golf apps is one of them

nelson8403

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the WiFi only version for a lot of the reasons you guys did too, I didn't want to get into another contract, and ATT service is very shotty over here and I don't want to open a new account with Verizon too.. I have a MiFi already and I just use that..

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live on OSU campus, so every where I go(including my home) has wifi. :p

Sent from my incredible iPad 2

thedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 3G model for gps only. I have a work provided Verizon MiFi. But I'm 90 percent on wifi everywhere. Work, home, other people's houses. I only use the MiFi in the car for maps with gps.

David Silva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike
You don't need a copy of MyWi for the iPad, just your iPhone. Your iPhone will look like a WAP to your iPad, just scan it and connect.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same for me. WiFi is available everywhere nowadays, and when I do want to get online when there isn't, I just tether to my Droid X. I debated it, but ultimately decided against it. Plus, when I'm walking around while using it, I tend to bump into people. Oops

Whitecheddar22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone 4 jail broken running mifi creating a hotspot and using the iPad2 that way instead of paying for the 3G.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the hotspot data plan is a two year contract or a month by month deal

It depends on your carrier. Some will let your change your plan without extending you contract. I've done that with AT&T and others won't.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone 4 jail broken running mifi creating a hotspot and using the iPad2 that way instead of paying for the 3G.

If it is AT&T than wait for bill for this, I read about about two weeks ago. They knew you are using illegal hotspot.

I use MyFi on my Jailbroken iPhone 4 and my bill is the same as always. But I also stay around 1GB of data with my iPhone. My data usage since using MyFi to tether hasn't changed that much, so I don't think they've noticed.

mikesong0323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks you guys for sharing that I need MyWi only on my iPhone to share it's 3G connection.
I knew that ;)

What I want to know though, is if anyone has had MyWi On Demand on both their iPhone and iPad (I think the iPhone 3G connection is shared via Bluetooth this way) and how the battery life on both devices are affected.
Thanks as always.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If it is AT&T than wait for bill for this, I read about about two weeks ago. They knew you are using illegal hotspot.

I use MyFi on my Jailbroken iPhone 4 and my bill is the same as always. But I also stay around 1GB of data with my iPhone. My data usage since using MyFi to tether hasn't changed that much, so I don't think they've noticed.

You can also go to their website and check your monthly usage. I had one month which is
last Oct of 2010 that was 5 gb but then I don't remember if I was streaming with Pandora and slacker app or I was using MyWi.

Last edited:

Most reactions