What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For ipad 4 owners-how is overheating now

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive found that any tablet with a high resolution screen the devicel get really warm with playing graphic intensive games. There are several issues here. One is passive cooling. These devices don't have fans. Next is high res screen. That means lots of pixels to turn on. Next is graphics processor. Games run this hard, which means more heat. You can even tell where the chip is inside as you can feel the spot is warmer than others. Also, most of the devices have larger batteries and they get warm when you draw lots of power from them.

Heck, the nexus 10 will throttle down its speed if you let the device get too warm. IPads don't do this, in my experience.

Ipad mini and iPad 2 dont have these issues.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was also free a couple of weeks ago.

OK, but I was posting that in case anyone was willing to test out whether playing a graphic-intensive game heated up their iPad. I don't play games, so I wouldn't volunteer for that.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, but I was posting that in case anyone was willing to test out whether playing a graphic-intensive game heated up their iPad. I don't play games, so I wouldn't volunteer for that.

Infinity Blade would certainly give an iPads graphics processor a workout. It's one of the most graphic intensive games available. Thanks for suggesting is as a means of testing for overheating.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Infinity Blade would certainly give an iPads graphics processor a workout. It's one of the most graphic intensive games available.

That's what I've heard. My iPad is more like the car that a little old lady drives to church -- I just do browsing and other vanilla things, so not much of a workout.

Treborray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I've heard. My iPad is more like the car that a little old lady drives to church -- I just do browsing and other vanilla things, so not much of a workout.

I think that's what I will keep mine for. Maybe find a little less intense games to play.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's what I will keep mine for. Maybe find a little less intense games to play.

Well, if you like intense games, you should still be able to play them even if iPad gets warm. If something is malfunctioning, that's a different story, like if it set your pants on fire while playing Infinity Blade, lol.

I think some people became alarmed because they were used to iPads staying cool. It's just that they warm up under certain conditions, but those conditions still are safe.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've tested my tablets many times with games. I even flipped it over and measured the temps using a digital therometer. Easy and quick to do. Nature of the beast here.

One could attempt to add some cooling if one is concerned. One could please the ipad on a laptop cooler for example. Or, in winter, go outside (ok...not a good option unless it is nighttime). Or, turn the AC on... :)

I was messing around with NFS on my Nexus 10....and I had my ceramic heater going. That thing got so warm the GPU throttle kicked on...and framerates started dropping. I haven't noticed any throttling on the iPads, though. Keeping the device in a case makes the warming less noticeable, but you still start to get a sense that things are toasty since your hands on touching the screen.

Treborray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tested my tablets many times with games. I even flipped it over and measured the temps using a digital therometer. Easy and quick to do. Nature of the beast here.

One could attempt to add some cooling if one is concerned. One could please the ipad on a laptop cooler for example. Or, in winter, go outside (ok...not a good option unless it is nighttime). Or, turn the AC on... :)

I was messing around with NFS on my Nexus 10....and I had my ceramic heater going. That thing got so warm the GPU throttle kicked on...and framerates started dropping. I haven't noticed any throttling on the iPads, though. Keeping the device in a case makes the warming less noticeable, but you still start to get a sense that things are toasty since your hands on touching the screen.

I guess as long as it is normal and being that I'm not willing to go non-retina at this point I'm stuck with the iPad 4.

realimbored668

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might be a little late, but my iPad 4th gen Retina does overheat from just browsing the web, and unlike a personal device, this one is provided by my high school to take home after the end of the day for the whole year. I have zero games on this, and I rarely watch or do anything demanding (720p YouTube videos, Facebook with a massive amount of posts loaded, screwing up continous loading, etc.) but if I take it out of the case and lower the brightness by at least 30% (I never have it above 80%) it cools off in about 3 minutes from uncomfortabally hot to mild. The lightning port however still stays pretty warm. If this thing were to overheat, that's $50 my parents don't have (and I am unemployed). Any other tips not yet listed for temp control? Thanks to whoever posts any.

Most reactions

Latest posts