What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For a student: Ipad 4 or Note 10.1.

daniel_2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

Guys,i have a doubt about the better tablet for my profile. I am a student and I want read books and write with a stylus pen in my tablet. My doubt is: what the better tablet for my profile, Ipad 4 or galaxy note 10.1?

I did some calculus about the prices of the two devices and the diference between Ipad 4 andNote 10.1 is considerable.

Given this, i have some questions:

(1) What the "lifecycle" of a Ipad 4 ?

(2) In terms of reading, what the better experience for ebooks, Ipad 4 or note 10.1?

Thank you for answer my questions :)

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I have had my iPads for about 2 years. I think they will hold up as long as you take care of it. I've never had any problems with any if mine. My daughter dropped my ipad 3, and apple replaced it, the screen was cracked, but it still worked. I don't have the note 10, but I do have the note 8. The reading experience isn't very different on either device. I use ypthe kindle, and amazon apps, but I can read PDF files just fine on either. I do prefer the internet on my ipad , over the note.

The stylus is a nice feature, although I have found that I don't use it as much as I probably could. I kind of forget about it : (

I think it just depends on whether you like iOS or android devices. You'll be fine with either one. I would suggest going to a store and trying out both of them first.

Hope that helped : )

OP
D

daniel_2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, iluvmyipad :)

Thanks for you answer! Your hints were very good. My main doubt is about the lifecycle of Ipad 4 versus galaxy note 10.1. In your opinion, what the most durable?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for you answer! Your hints were very good. My main doubt is about the lifecycle of Ipad 4 versus galaxy note 10.1. In your opinion, what the most durable?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'durable'? Are you worried about susceptibility to damage (e.g. drop) and/or longevity or usefulness of the hardware/software? I'm assuming the latter - I've had my iPad 2 for 2 1/2 years - upgraded to iOS 7.0.3 w/o a problem and still working fine - in fact the iPad 2 is still Apple's most popular tablet (see chart below about global use - published earlier this month) and the device will be 3 y/o next spring which speaks for its usefulness.

I have no experience w/ Android tablets (wife had a color Nook but now uses an iPad Mini), but the iPad 2 is excellent for reading (except outside on a sunny day, if that is an issue) and a stylus can be used. I will likely purchased an iPad Air early next year and expect my iPad 2 to be a backup for the foreseeable future. But I agree that you need to decide first by 'trying' each out in a store and then look at pricing (relative to storage size desired and need for cellular) - durability however defined is the least of your concerns. Dave :)

localytics-2-20131022.jpg

OP
D

daniel_2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, giradman. :)

Ok, you are correct. My definition of durability was a bad definition. When I said this, I was me refers to time that the device will be operational.

Thank you =)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, giradman. :)

Ok, you are correct. My definition of durability was a bad definition. When I said this, I was me refers to time that the device will be operational.

Hi again Daniel​ - I just may be dense, but I'm still not getting the 'gist' of your question? Again if you mean 'longevity', the iPad 2 as stated will be 3 years old come next spring and I suspect mine to easily be useful to us for another year or so; I tend to switch out computers every 3-5 years, so this device will likely last for that period of time. Now by 'operational' - is that the answer you want or another? If you are asking about 'battery life' that is usually stated to be 8-10 hrs for an iPad (not sure for the Android device you mentioned in the OP). Still not sure if that is what you are asking, but please post back as needed. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In general terms, Apple has a history of updating iOS for it tablets at leasts two generations back, usually three. Every tablet except the first generation iPad go the latest update (though not necessarily all the new features). In general, you can count on the current generation iPad being fully supported for at least two years. You may not get every little new feature, because these often depend on new hardware, but you can expect to get all the important stuff. If you include an AppleCare warranty you get tech support, and extra year of hardware warrantee, and two accident replacements (over the two years) for a $50 service fee.

Traditionally Samsung has taken longer to update, and are quicker to abandon older devices. Some of this is the nature of the Android ecosystem, but mostly it's because Samsung makes so many devices (just to see what will sell) that you can't be sure which ones they will stand behind. I'm not familiar with their hardware support and warrantees, but assume it is comparable to the industry standard, and insurance can be purchased through third parties if not from Samsung themselves.

That said, Android OS is also less dependent on the device manufacturer. Pretty much all devices will receive updates eventually, through the user community; if you are willing to take your device's maintenance and updating responsibilities on your own shoulders, and learn the in's an out's of rooting and installing new ROMs, you will be able to update to the newest Android OS, eventually, so long as the hardware can support it.

The stylus on the Note will probably make stylus note taking better than it can be on the iPad, though you'll probably find a much smaller selection of note taking apps and therefore fewer options when it comes to features other than the stylus. It's going to be a trade off.

Though. . . The newest Jot stylus; a collaboration between Adonit and Evernote looks like it might come close to being really good for note taking, but I have not seen any reviews yet.

Bias: The only Android device I have is the older Nexus 7. I used to have a Motorola Droid X. I find/found them usable, but I prefer Apple's OS's and devices for most tasks.

OP
D

daniel_2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all. Thank you for your answers.

Explanation: durability for me mean the time of the device is available for use. For example, after 2 years all hardware in device is ok, without problem in wifi or touch, for example . I think that the operational system is not problem for me.

In fact, my problem is that, in my country the difference between iPad and galaxy note 10.1 is 676,00 in my coin. I am brazilian. I think that you know about our expensive prices...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know how durable the Note 10.1 is. iPad's are well built. Quite a few people are still using the original iPad over three years after it came out. Mine would probably still work if it hadn't been in a car accident and had the screen smashed.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an Apple "Fan Boy" so you know what I like. But there are good reasons why I recommend the iPad. Both of the pads you are looking at are well made and have a lot of capability. But in the actual world of pad use, people actually use their iPads more than other pads. It is a bit like comparing a Ferrari and an SUV. The farrari is faster and even more beauriful, and guys like to day dream about driving around in it. But in the real world, the SUV would be used much more. You really have to learn how to drive a Ferrari. The SUV is easier by far, and can do a lot more than the Ferrari. The iPad is a wonderful tablet that is easy to learn to use and has far more capabilities than any of the other tablets you might look at. Just looking at tablets can be confussing. They all look alike. (like iPad I suppose) But they can't match the iOS operating system. They can't match the A7 chip.
Get the iPad.

Hobby welder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a student myself I say:
Well, id go with the iPad. I've used other devices and just don't care much for them in terms of compatibility and options, (Compatibility as is with websites or certain functions, options as in apps, capabilities), they lag some.

I've had my iPad 2 for 2 1\2 years as well, I've gotten metal dust on it, dropped it from 4ft up onto concrete, only left a dent and lifted the screen in that corner, no effect to any components.

You also have to look at productivity apps, such as pages, numbers, and keynote for starters. I've added thing like penultimate, the elements, etc etc for other class work.

Pages will convert to 4 file types with no problem. I'd wait and go with the iPad Air.

It will last for a long time given you take good care of it. I'm upgrading for a few new features and little more speed, better wifi connection etc etc, generic update time for me. I could probably get another 2-4 years out of mine if I really wanted to.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand that durability is a concern and iPads are made very well. But, as long as the tablet is cared for properly then I don't think it should be a big issue. I guess for school I'd be concerned with being able to share files and move files around easily and the Samsung will be better for that due to having some connectivity ports that the iPad lacks. Just something to think about. Although I'm not sure about this, printing might be a tad easier from the Galaxy too.

OP
D

daniel_2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. After these answers and because the Ipad 4 is very expensive in my country, my choice is the Galaxy note 10.1.

Thank you very much for your answers. Were very illustrative. :D

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Daniel
I hope you update us about the success you have with your new pad. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts