Food anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hayles66, May 2, 2011.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the post, I'd never realized just how small quail were.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Below is a quote from the description of the Pharaoh Quail which we had last night (Source); the box contained 4 birds each weighting about 4.5 ounces - not a whole lot of meat considering the bones and other non-edible parts. According to the link, a 'Jumbo' variety exists that can be as large as 16 ounces - but I've been eating quail since the early '70s and most have been this size. Dave :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Susan & I just discovered the Full Moon Oyster Bar in Clemmons, North Carolina, a smaller town next to Winston-Salem, but just 10-15 minutes from our house - for some reason w/ our love for oysters, we delayed trying the place maybe because of the bar design w/o tables? - BUT tonight went early & had a great dinner - shared a dozen oysters from the Gulf Coast (i.e. like the ones offered in New Orleans) - two were the LARGEST oysters we ever ate (really at least double the size of the usual ones served!) - fresh & delicious (the pic below is from the restaurant).

Main course for me was a blackened Mahi fish w/ asparagus & wild rice - the fish was mildly hot (my preference these days) and excellent; the sides were just OK; Susan had the Shrimp Boil (like New England style) w/ probably a dozen good sized shrimp, potatoes, sausage, & a piece of corn on the cob - well seasoned and tasty - she was happy! Thursday night is their King Crab special - a favorite of mine, so we may return in a few days for more oysters and some crab! Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 6.15.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 5.42.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 5.42.14 PM.png

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, has been nearly 2 weeks w/o oysters! ;) So, we went to a movie at our small independent downtown theater (the new Michael Moore documentary shown below - quite funny & recommended!) - just down the block, a new 'raw bar' had just opened (a subsidiary of an adjacent restaurant called Hutch & Harris) named H & H Side Bar - we started w/ small Caesar salads and then shared a dozen oysters on the half shell (Virginia & Connecticut blue points), steamed clams, and a platter of smoked fishes (mackerel, salmon, & trout) w/ boursin cheese, lemon, and ciabatta toast. Susan had a cocktail and I started w/ a draft IPA beer followed by a glass of La Crema chardonnay.

Good oysters are a new experience for us in Winston-Salem and now in just two weeks, we've found several places that meet our expectations - these were as good as on the coast! We'll be returning soon - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 7.30.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.26.47 PM.png

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    OH MY! No post here for 6 months - must all be on a diet! And the last entry from me - hard to believe in such an important human activity, i.e. eating food - ;)

Recently, I've been reading the book below Real Food/Fake Food by Larry Olmsted - purchased via iBooks, so both Susan & I are reading together - just into the 3rd chapter on 'Olive Oil' - the 2nd chapter on 'Fish' is just shocking, e.g. 90% of seafood consumed in America is imported and half of that is FAKE! If you are wondering what you buy at the local markets, then a must read depending on where you live, I guess.

SO, we decided to do more online ordering of both meats, seafood, and olive oils (yes the latter is an entire chapter - SO much is a fraud!). Today, we received an overnight package from Broken Arrow Ranch which included venison, antelope, and quail (semi-boneless; the latter were from Diamond H Ranch), all in Texas - Susan decided to sautée the quail w/ her usual recipe (onions, seasonings, dry sherry, etc.) - these birds were 'bigger' than our usual quail and tender - two each was enough served w/ some peas and fresh tomatoes from a friend's garden.

We have a number of 'real' Italian cheeses & olive oils coming from a recommended place in Ann Arbor, MI (where I went to school) and also a LOT of seafood from a place in Alaska - we want to make sure that the food we are eating is REAL! Should have done this years ago - NOW, this approach is more expensive, but you may want to spend the extra money after reading this book - BTW, I listened to the author on the Diane Rehm NPR radio show - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.15.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.18.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.13.29 PM.png

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you had a very good meal.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The birds were Bandera Quails, and were slightly larger than those we have bought locally, and quite delicious.

Today, we received another box of Alaskan seafood - king crab legs, salmon of different types, halibut (both steaks & cheeks), and some large shrimp - looking forward to all! :) Dave

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, no one posting in the food thread for another week - we've been feasting on our Alaskan seafood arrivals - tonight, Susan defrosted one of our bags of Halibut Cheeks - see pic below as to where this meat is on the fish, YES, the cheek! The taste is delicate but has a texture similar to crab/lobster - plenty of different preparation options.

Tonight, she decided to simply sauté the cheeks w/ a fresh dill lemon beurre blanc sauce - had a salad w/ fresh locally grown tomatoes - I had a chardonnay from Washington State (Ch. Ste. Michelle, Indian Wells) - delicious - NOW, how to decide on cooking our second bag of these Alaskan delights? :) Dave
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 7.51.17 PM.png P1020701.JPG

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering how big halibut cheeks were until I found this photo.
    IMG_0953.JPG

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep - that fish can come in at hundreds of pounds - I love the halibut fillets (and we have a number of frozen packages, so will be some more great eating) - the cheeks are kind of like the size of veal but thicker - will be awaiting how Susan decides to cook our next batch - Dave :)