Food anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hayles66, May 2, 2011.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The champagne Sunday brunch was as good as ever - pic below of Susan & I taken by one of the servers before our feast began. Susan started w/ breakfast items (although she skipped a freshly made omelet this time) - I began w/ a salad, then we both concentrated on the seafood selections - my two plates below w/ oysters, shrimp (not shown), mussels, smoke salmon (alone and on mini bagels), and poached salmon - there were many cooked items and also two carving stations. The dessert offerings in sampler portions were numerous - I had one of several cheese cakes, chocolate mousse, & pecan pie. The price has not change much in recent years, i.e. $45/person w/ all of the oysters & sparkling wine you may want ( I was not driving so no big issue - ;)) - Dave :)
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to finally see you both. I like the food photos, your posts wouldn't be the same without the oysters.:)

3. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That looks delish, Dave! Those oysters are HUGE, a meal in themselves:eek:
    Andrew

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Sifan.. & Andrew - yep, those are huge (believe I had at least 8 on two plates) - did not ask their origin but suspect local from their appearance & flavor - James River & Rappahannock River (both Virginia) are popular, but on this trip we had oysters from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Chincoteague (eastern shore Virginia and one of my previous travelogues).

BUT, our favorite oyster on this trip were from the west coast, i.e. British Columbia and are called Kusshi - description quote below (Source) - we had them two nights at Legal Sea Foods in Tysons Corner (our 3 days @ the Ritz when we did our day trips into D.C. & to the Gettysburg Battlefield) - pic from the web; small like most Pacific Coast oysters but plump w/ just an indescribable flavor - we shared a dozen & a half over those two meals - and hope to see them again soon! Dave :)

P.S. just returned home and back on my MBPro!

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 2.40.06 PM.png

#5544 giradman, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Tomorrow, Susan & I are off on a 5-night trip to the Georgia Mountains - about a 4-hr drive into southwestern North Carolina and just over the state border into Georgia - our first visit there - will take my new camera and hope for some good weather - will not be as cool as expected - if interesting, maybe another travelogue.

But, Susan did not want to cook tonight, so she picked up some Lexington-style pork barbecue - we usually get either the coarse or fine chopped - to many North Carolinians, barbecue is like a religion here w/ debate over whether the 'eastern' style is better than the Lexington style - we do not eat this much but quite tasty - always buy from Little Richard's shown below (about a 5 minute drive from home) - this style uses only pork shoulders and is smoked w/ hickory wood for hours, then pulled and chopped; a smoky slightly vinegary sauce comes w/ your order - the meat can be eaten off a plate as I prefer or put on a bun for a sandwich.

Bob Garner - a local media celebrity made a video for our local PBS TV channel a number of years ago and also wrote a book on NC barbecue - quoted below are his comments on this particular restaurant that we use - Little Richard's is in Bob's top ten for the state, which is saying a LOT if you're really into 'pig meat' - :) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.28.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.28.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.29.10 PM.png

6. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    I've just had a piece of apple and raspberry tart with thick delicious cream. yum yum

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy, no activity here for nearly a half year - YIKES!

At the moment, Susan & I are in the Raleigh area to see some traveling exhibits at the North Carolina museums (art, science, & history) - probably should start a brief travelogue about this area of the state - just a lot to see & do.

But, as usual we are splurging a little and staying at the Umstead Hotel & Spa (pic below of the back facing the lake & park) for a couple of nights, which has a fabulous restaurant called Herons (Dinner Menu) - just finished dinner - we ordered the 3-course serving and both started w/ oysters & then squab; I had the sea bass and Susan the filet - all just delicious; I had two glasses of an Austrian white wine made from the grape, Gruner Veltliner - dry, floral, and w/ great acidity - really enjoyed (need to have Johanna chime in - my experience w/ Austrian wines is almost non-existent, but I'd love to try more!). Dave :)

image.jpeg

#5547 giradman, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could visit Austria in November, especially Burgenland. Most of the villages organize something we call "Martiniloben". That's taking place on weekends before and after November 11, our state holiday.
    On these weekends, it's possible to visit winery owners and try their wines.

There's something similar in spring, called "Spring Walk", if you prefer warmer temperatures.

#5548 J. A., Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Johanna - I'd love to visit Austria (mentioned before, I believe, w/ my interest in classical music - the 18th & early 19th centuries are my favorite periods) - but cannot see us at our age crossing the ocean again - enjoying these local car trips a lot (and no time zone changes!); HOWEVER, I'll be trying some more Austrian wines (of course, depending on what I can find locally - we do have an outlet of Total Wine which carries a lot of German & Alsatian producers, so next time there, will check out the Austrian section). Thanks for your input, as always! - Dave :)

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, last night we gave a new Italian restaurant a try - just 10 minutes from our house - called Tre Nonne and well reviewed in our local paper HERE - great story about three native Italian grandmother's recipes being used - the food was terrible! Now I've been to Italy twice and have eaten at many excellent Italian restaurants in most of the major cities in the USA, so probably have an 'educated' opinion - there is a local Italian bistro a block away that we eat at monthly and will return - very disappointed as were two friends of ours w/ a LOT of experience eating Italian food.

BUT, tonight a treat - our local Harris Teeter (HT) had a new quail offering (vs. a salt laden marinated brand - yuck!) from Plantation Quail which is located in Greensboro, Georgia (half way between Atlanta & Augusta, where the Masters golf tournament is held each year in the spring) - below a couple of images from their website in the link - raised like chickens - apparently the Pharaoh Quail is the bird used - Susan has a simple recipe, i.e. brown the birds (they are small as shown below), then sauté some onions, add some sherry wine and seasoning - cover and let cook for about 20 minutes - just delicious! We had a veggie and I opened a bottle of Adelsheim Pinot Noir 2012 from Oregon - the quail come frozen 4 to a box (we had two each which is still a little skimpy for the size of these birds) - told her to run back to HT and pick up 3-4 boxes and put in the basement freezer! A nice make-up for last night's so-called Italian meal. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.17.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.11.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.10.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.14.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.23.34 PM.png