Food anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hayles66, May 2, 2011.

1. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those chops sound delicious Dave. We love lamb chops although I would favour the meat done to medium, not less, but bit of pink OK. Australian lamb is excellent, although getting more expensive now as a lot of it is exported (on par or dearer than steak). Here we still go for the Sunday roast, but of course more in winter (Jun to August and maybe some months either side). We often do a nice Sunday leg-of-lamb roasted simply in an oven bag which turns out succulent and delicious. Roast potatoes, vegs and roasted garlic cloves etc are done in the normal way in the oven.
    And I'm reading this well after dinner, so with that recipe, you are a cruel man!!:). Hang on, I'll just just grab a handful of cashew nuts and top up that glass;)
    Andrew

2. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Giradman--I think I could eat a bowl a soup in your lovely 4-seasons room and be content! The room is just so inviting and your furniture is beautiful! You are quite talented! As far as the chops--I'll have mine medium to go!! :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Carol & Andrew - thanks for the comments; actually cooked the lamb a few extra minutes and then let them sit for a few more (to cook) - came out between medium & medium rare; still juicy, pink throughout, and warm - BTW, we bought about 10 chops @ Costco (split them into 2 portions, so looking forward to cooking the remainder soon if we get a warm day in December. Agree w/ the veal - I like just a little pink & juicy (cooking time similar to the lamb & use the same recipe) - ONE CHANGE is I like to put them in the frig covered for about an hour to allow the lemon juice/oil/herbs marinade the meat a little more. P.S. Andrew - the lamb is Australian @ a great price and indeed delicious! :thumbs:

For those interested in furniture, I built just 2 of the tables - the neatest is the folding 'mini' dining table - first 3 pics show the table folded in half against a wall for easy storage, 2nd pic the hinged legs have been extended forward (hinged top not yet in place - once opened looks like shown in my previous post); table is made of cherry w/ vertical walnut inserts for contrast & decoration; needed a small table for between the other opposite 2 chairs shown in the last attachment; again walnut & cherry but w/ a left over bathroom tile on the top. Other furniture on the porch was purchase - coffee & side tables & chairs are made from South American eucalyptus (renewable forests) and look like cherry. Dave :)

CherryTable1.jpg CherryTable2.jpg CherryTable3.jpg

Attached Files:

#5303 giradman, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. joanna_johnsons

joanna_johnsons
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    craving for steak right now..... :O

5. zstairlessone

zstairlessone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Boy, I think that might be my favorite room if I lived there. Very nice!

I think I am going over to Del Taco for dinner tonight.

Edit: So I did go to Del Taco, had a Bacon Double Del burger, got a cheese quesadilla, a jack quesadilla and nacho fries for later. Burger never made it out the door, the rest are in the refrigerator for later :)

#5305 zstairlessone, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the comments on the porch - renovated a few years ago much to our pleasure!

Hope that you enjoyed the Del Taco treats! :) We went out to our local Japanese sushi place tonight - I had sashimi (smoked salmon, yellowtail, & seared peppered tuna) and a few rolls (shrimp tempura & king crab) - YUMMY! Dave :)

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, no comments in a few days - all must be on a starvation diet! :D

But this year is special, i.e. Thanksgiving & Hanukkah start on the same day (a meeting of the moons?) - Susan & I are a 'mixed' religious marriage (Jewish & Catholic), but we do light a Menorah each year (have posted some pics elsewhere), so tonight the first candle was lit on our Menorah; also, on pre-holiday nights we love to have a 'snack' dinner (probably 3-4 a year) - thus, I took a pic of tonight's snack dinner: 1) Shrimp (boiled & peel); 2) Smoked salmon on rye & low cal cream cheese; 3) Cheese w/ crackers (Havarti w/ dill + Cheddar); and 4) Mumm Sparkling wine from Napa; also in the right corner some baked Greek spinach rolls - please notice our Menorah w/ the one candle to begin the Jewish holiday. We'll probably repeat the experience before Christmas & New Year - Dave :)

P1010595.JPG

8. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Just busy I think Dave.

I too have a mixed religion marriage, myself Anglican and hubby is Greek Orthodox. We enjoy 2 Easters each year. ;)

Lovely Menorah! And that snack dinner looks delicious.

Hmm.....Greek spinach rolls.....I'm thinking spanakopita, a fav of ours too!

9. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Lemsip for a bad cough aggravated by asthma. Yugh! Me not likey!

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Leelai - yep, but just frozen ones so no where near the quality & taste of the real thing! We have a nice Greek restaurant in town - love the charred octopus and their broad selection of Greek wines made from grapes native to Greece & the islands.

We also have a large Greek community in town - they put on a festival every year w/ LOTS of food offerings made by the members of the largest Greek Orthodox church here - NOW, that is great food!

Thanks for your comments on the menorah - candle #2 (plus the 'lighter') tonight - Dave :)