What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food anyone?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First full day in the Ft. Lauderdale area - we took a wonderful boat ride on the waterways & canals of the city, nicknamed the 'Venice of America' - probably need to start a new thread in the travel forum on my return?

Tonight we ate @ the Lobster Bar; began w/ three starters: 1) Half dozen oysters on the half shell (3 from the West Coast & 3 from Fischer Island, Long Island near Montauk - see my travel thread on that area); 2) Lobster & seafood ceviche; and 3) Charred octopus (tender and best I've ever had!). Susan had the baked Maine lobster w/ crabmeat stuffing and I had the baked whole Loup de Mer (basically a branzino or Mediterraean sea bass) w/ a lemon/butter/caper sauce - just delicious! We were stuffed so skipped a bunch of great sounding deserts - NOW, what to do tomorrow night? ;) Dave

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last few nights in the south Florida area, some more wonderful seafood w/ a MAJOR concentration on shellfish:

Last night, dinner @ Trulucks - we started out w/ a dozen oysters (YES, again!) from the Cheasapeake Bay (so East Coast USA) & their spicy ceviche; I had two JUMBO stone crab claws (a treat for me!) w/ a side of garlic spinach - a couple of glasses of Ponzi Pinot Gris from Oregon.

Tonight, on Las Olas Blvd (main shopping area of Ft. Lauderdale), the Wild Sea Oyster Bar & Grille - we started w/ oysters (both St. James River Virginia and several from the West Coast) & grilled octopus - all delicious! Susan had large tiger shrimp w/ gnocchi; I decided on several cold bar options, i.e. 2 large Stone crab claws & a one pound chilled lobster along w/ a side of baby Bok Choy (one of my favorite veggies) - this has been my favorite meal of the trip - several glasses of Groth Sauvignon Blanc (California) - shared a delicious key lime pie w/ coconut influences including a coconut sobet shaped like a half coconut - would show some pics but in a hotel room on the iPad, so kind of a pain - just wanted to get the items in a post - may add some comments later, especially about 'Stone Crabs' - Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Our last 'early' dinner of the trip at the Blue Moon Fish Co. on the intracoastal waterway in north Ft. Lauderdale - about the same, i.e. oysters from both the East & West coasts, grilled octopus, and lobster cocktail - for dessert and our final 'oyster fest', we shared a half dozen kumamoto oysters from the West coast - plump & briny and a favorite of ours, when available! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 10.24.28 AM.png
kumamoto_oysters.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our last 'early' dinner of the trip at the Blue Moon Fish Co. on the intracoastal waterway in north Ft. Lauderdale - about the same, i.e. oysters from both the East & West coasts, grilled octopus, and lobster cocktail - for dessert and our final 'oyster fest', we shared a half dozen kumamoto oysters from the West coast - plump & briny and a favorite of ours, when available! Dave :)

View attachment 63467 View attachment 63468
Thanks for yet another great food picture! That's a great presentation for those oysters.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
***slurp*** ***slurp***...just love oysters with horse radish and cocktail sauce! :)

Hey Ski...... - yep, that is our preference, too! Susan likes just a little on her oysters and mainly the cocktail sauce; although she will always try the other options offered, i.e. usually some variant (s) of a 'mignonette' dipping sauce.

BUT, my preference is about half & half horse radish & cocktail sauce - a WARNING for those eating oysters at least where we were enjoying them - there seems to be a competition in having the HOTTEST horse radish in the area, so after our first restaurant, I went only w/ half as much! :) Dave

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Ski...... - yep, that is our preference, too! Susan likes just a little on her oysters and mainly the cocktail sauce; although she will always try the other options offered, i.e. usually some variant (s) of a 'mignonette' dipping sauce.

BUT, my preference is about half & half horse radish & cocktail sauce - a WARNING for those eating oysters at least where we were enjoying them - there seems to be a competition in having the HOTTEST horse radish in the area, so after our first restaurant, I went only w/ half as much! :) Dave

I'm with you on the horseradish, Dave. Just love it hot, but when too hot..it hurts the top of my head! LOL! :) I'm not a fan of the butter that is served with it, or the sweetened onions as well. I've tried it a few times and just keep going back to the horsey and cocktail sauce! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We returned recently from our trip to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and had some great food, including plenty of oysters on the half shell (described in the travel thread in my recent travelogue of the trip).

Now at home, we just ate at our local sushi bar/restaurant - tried out Susan's new iPhone 6 camera and obtained the pic below - need a little more practice - :rolleyes:

The single plate at the bottom is my dinner - sashimi (Yellowtail, Octopus, & Eel), plus two rolls, i.e. King Crab & Spider Rolls (the latter a fried soft shell crab). Susan had a 'bunch' of items - far right, a Yellowtail sashimi special appetizer; tempura veggies and shrimp (in the background); and one of our favs to share, Ika Maruyaki, which is 'B.B.Q. squid with zesty ginger sauce' - a whole squid grilled and beautifully sliced into rings w/ the tentacles & tail included - yummy! We started w/ salads and I had a glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - Dave :)

P.S. added an image of the grilled squid from the restaurant's web site - we LOVE it!
SushiDinner1.jpg

squid-500x243.jpg

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Um...I just so happen come upon this delicious thread and saw your previous dinner @giradman! Looks absolutely wonderful! :)

Hi Ski...... - not sure if you're referring to our recent Japanese meal posted recently or the restaurants visited on the Hilton Head Island trip a few weeks ago - if the latter check HERE (post #10) - we were yet again in Oyster Heaven - Dave :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ski...... - not sure if you're referring to our recent Japanese meal posted recently or the restaurants visited on the Hilton Head Island trip a few weeks ago - if the latter check HERE (post #10) - we were yet again in Oyster Heaven - Dave :)

Hi Dave...I was referring to the pic you took at your local sushi bar. Looks delish. Just love a little/a lot of wasabi on any sushi dish! The hotter the better!! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave...I was referring to the pic you took at your local sushi bar. Looks delish. Just love a little/a lot of wasabi on any sushi dish! The hotter the better!! :)

Well, we had a LOT of oysters on the Hilton Head Island trip, so think you would have been happy eating in either place - ;) Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we had a LOT of oysters on the Hilton Head Island trip, so think you would have been happy eating in either place - ;) Dave
Since you and your wife like oysters so much, have you been to the Union Oyster House in Boston? It's the oldest Oyster Bar in the United States and one of the oldest restaurants, being founded in 1826, in a building dating to 1714. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Oyster_House

image.jpg

Most reactions