What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Font colour change

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

Using my iPad 3 with most recent software update (all good so far), I was composing an email in the native mail app yesterday, when one of the paragraphs turned colour from black to a shade of violet. Firstly, I had copied and pasted some text from a Word document that had been sent to me and was editing the same when this occurred.
Fortunately, it wasn't a major problem as I was returning the edited version to the original author anyway.
My problem was, that no matter what I did, I could not change the font/text colour back to black (shades of Amy Winehouse :))
Any ideas guys?
Mike

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you aren't able to change a font color for text in the Mail app. That doesn't mean I know why the font changed color in the first place :))); maybe there was some spare coloring or coding from the Word document...?

What I have found, however, to help me in making everything all text (e.g. strip out all extras) is to copy the text, paste it into the Notes app and then copy it from there for pasting into another app. As Notes is pure text-based, everything gets taken away.

So, try that if it happens again...?

Marilyn

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Mickey. I usually do that but for some reason I copied and pasted directly onto my email. It hasn't caused a problem and I can certainly live with. I am just a curious creature and can't help wondering why it happened in the first place. I think in my heart of hearts I was hoping that, by some quirk of fate, I had stumbled on a way of changing text/font colours.
Mike

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iOS 7 Mail app seems to assign pretty (!) colors to various levels of quoting. It sometimes also displays text at huge sizes. It's out of control...but I suppose as long as I can still read the message, it's just a silly "feature."

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While Mail's editor can only do some basic RFT editing (bold, italic, underline) it is capable of displaying and sending more, even HTML. Text formatted in RTF or HTML that is pasted into Mail and can be edited, retaining the formatting as long as you don't completely delete the text.

It sounds like the text you pasted had some formatting, and somehow you either changed or uncovered a bit of it so that it started affecting the entire block of text. A possible scenario would be that a bit of header or some spaces had the blue format, but were not being displayed. You deleted the little bit of text between the formatted (but not showing) text so that it suddenly affected all the text in that block.

This trick is used by several apps to allow you to send emails with more formatting than Mail provides. You can even trick a little color into the signatures this way, though that is even more limited in what will work.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Very interesting regarding the text formatting, I just wish I knew what I did, ha, ha! Still, it was fun while it lasted :)
Best regards,
Mike

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have the zooming effect occasionally too. Nothing that I do, i'm just typing normally as i've done on my ipads for 4.5 years LOL. I have turned off large text and thus dynamic text in settings and hope that settles it since I can't find anything else that could affect it--unless its a pure doggone bug LOL.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The zoom feature is under Settings > General > Accessibility. When turned on a double tap with three fingers will put you in zoom mode. Another double tap with three fingers will take you back to normal viewing mode. There are other gestures. You can read them in the Zoom setting's page.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The zoom feature is under Settings > General > Accessibility. When turned on a double tap with three fingers will put you in zoom mode. Another double tap with three fingers will take you back to normal viewing mode. There are other gestures. You can read them in the Zoom setting's page.

Thanks. That seems likely, doesn't it, but mine are turned off since I can't use gestures with Noteshelf app and handwriting, wrist protection. Its only happened 3 times and I've gone hunting in settings each time for a culprit but so far can't find any possibilities except the two mentioned, zoom with gestures and dynamic text, both turned off. But that and the issue of not being able to pair my older Apple Bluetooth keyboard after 7.02 are my only small issues (my other BT devices all pair fine including my Logitech keyboard cover). Lots of changes I just love in IOS7.

Most reactions

Latest posts