What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FON app from UK/USA App Store?

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a Fonera router so that I can have access to the free FON worldwide wifi network.

In the UK, the exclusive FON partner is BT but I am not a BT customer so bought the router separately.

The FON website, and indeed the helpful FON support, recommend downloading the FON app from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fon/id478267641?mt=8 but this is the USA App Store and the app does not seem to be available through the UK one.

Of course, my Apple ID does not work on the USA store so I am unable to download the app from there and it does not appear to be available through the FON website.

If there a way of downloading from the USA store, or is there any other way of acquiring this perfectly legal app from within the UK?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need to change App Store countries just once, you can do this with the Apple ID you're using right now. This will only work, when you have "None" as payment method and no balance, or a different payment method than "None". All you need is an address in the USA. You go to App Store - Featured, scroll down to your Apple ID, tap it and select "View Apple ID". On the next page, you'll see "Country & Region". When you tap it, you can change your location to the US with the address you searched before. It can also be an address of someone you know there.

If you intend to use the US Apple ID more than once, it's better to set up an extra US Apple ID. What you need in this case, is an email address (Gmail) that's not yet connected to an Apple ID, and - as with the method above - an address in the USA. As payment method, you can also choose "None". This will work in this case, because it's a free app.
To get this done, go to App Store - Featured, scroll down to your Apple ID, tap it and sign out. Then select "Sign In", and "Create New Apple ID". Follow the instructions.

Last edited:
OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many thanks, I'll use those options.

I do have friends over the pond so will use their address.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again! I'll give that a try - odd that FON/Fonera's support don't seem to know if it and that a search of the UK App Store for FON didn't find it. Mind you, that may be more a sign of my congenital incompetence rather then App Store failings.

Maybe the app is a "foreigner" as some of the reviews show shortcomings. I'll give it a try as I travel around and see how it goes, but in the meantime I am taking steps to try and acquire the USA version as that looks more comprehensive.

Of course as BT are exclusive UK FON partners, and as I said I do not subscribe to BT, it maybe that the USA app is throttled so as not to work here but if that is the case them it defeats the object of having a worldwide free wifi network!

I shall report back, in due course, as to how I get on with either or both apps.

Thanks for the help.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have yet to sign up Stateside, but the app to which you refer seems a tad out of date and also a
tad unreliable in its geographical skills. A FON point shown as being 0.2 miles away was actually some 10 miles from where I was. Maybe it is no longer supported.

Still, better than nothing until I get the real thing.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The deed is done, the FON app installed and configured and it all works as hoped.

I commend this app, and the above described methods of acquisition, to all UK non-BT users.

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts