What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folders

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot do this on the iPad itself until iOS 5 in a few weeks. You can organize on your computer and sync folders, but the stock iPad app does not do this yet.

- t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - if you organise your photos into folders on your PC and then synchronise the iPad with the PC those folders will be copied across from the PC to the iPad. But as thewitt and Poser suggest, there is no way to create folders, yet, on the iPad in the Photo app. Of course, there are many third party photo apps - many free - that can do this.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - if you organise your photos into folders on your PC and then synchronise the iPad with the PC those folders will be copied across from the PC to the iPad. But as thewitt and Poser suggest, there is no way to create folders, yet, on the iPad in the Photo app. Of course, there are many third party photo apps - many free - that can do this.

Tim

Tim,

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and it's happened before.) I'm under the impression that the third party apps simply copy photos to "folders" created by those apps. They don't actually organize the photos that already exist on the iPad. In other words, they result in redundant storage of the photos.

While that approach may accomplish the OP's objectives, the photos maintained in the native iPad app are not kept in sync with the folders and content created by the third party app. Any new photos must be added both to the iPad "camera roll" and to the storage of the third party app.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are quite right. Third party app's make duplicate copies of the photos. If you organise your photos into folders on your PC that is the better way, as you suggest. Then those photos appear in the Photos app and there is no duplication.

Many thanks for pointing that out - I should have mentioned that important point...:(

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts