What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FolderIcons

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've discovered this tweak called FolderIcons.
Great tweak, but the number for foldericons is limited.
Where do I get nice icons?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You pretty much just create your own.

A quick Google search on the tweak shows me that you just put any png image into the FolderIcon folder. What I don't see, right now, is what size to make those png files. I should imagine that if you've installed the tweak, you can look at the png/image(s) already installed to find the size...

I may have to look at this. While I was wandering around Google, it seems pretty interesting....

Anyway. Not a good answer, but it's the best I could find. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
The size is a problem to me. I put a file in that directory, used it, respringed and my whole screen was filled with one big icon!
Well, a small icon to touch but a very big picture on it. :p

Is there a way to create icons in the iPad, with the right size?

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think one of the smart people on IPF posted a handy instructional diatribe about creating custom themes. Perhaps your answer lies within the deepest bowels of IPF? And when you obtain three power crystals and the magic flute, you, too can be an iNinja. Seems to me that creating a set of icons would be a simple task compared to creating a theme. Seems to me as long as you follow whatever naming conventions iOS imposes and watch the file sizes you can create icons. But I often assume too much and when I look at what is in a theme, there has to be more to it. Like can SSH be used or do you need to package the icons, create an install program, and do a little dance?

Or perhaps a quick search?

Bob will be waiting for the eventual comments about how much I do not know. I admit it first, so I beat you, ha ha ha.

Smiley

PS: I forgot about web sites that allow you to create themes for free, online. A JB is required, obviously. Perhaps you can avail yourself of these kinds of services and simply create a theme and add your own icons? Again, I already know I do not know what I am talking about, so gang, save the "Bob, you are up in the night" comments. Smiley.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, but I LIKE this tweak!

Here's what I did (of course, YMMV)...

First, the png sizes that come with the tweak are 118 x 124. So, I found a picture I liked for my photograph tools folder. I sized it to 118 x 124. Then, I put it into the folder where the other pictures are (/var/mobile/Media/FolderIcons). Then, I went to the FolderIcon's settings in the iPad's Settings app and put in my preferences. BTW, the picture I put in the folder was there when I opened the tweak's settings...

I've attached two pictures of how it worked for me. The first is of the 2d page of the settings part of the FolderIcon tweak (all I did on the first page was enabled the tweak). I read somewhere that removing background works best, so I've turned that on. Then, I wanted to use the "compose icon" setting because I want it to be themed with my inPulse for iPad theme.

Settings.png

The second picture is of the icon on the springboard. Looks wonderful - and behaves just like a folder in that it opens fine and I can put stuff in or drag stuff out of it. And, it is themed, just like my other icons. BTW, the folder is the PHOTO TOOLS icon:

IconShot.png

Maybe you just didn't have the right size? So, all I can suggest is to try again with a different png image...

I do, however, want to thank you for mentioning this. I think I really like the looks better than folders...

Marilyn

Who's now gone off to create icons for all her folders ... what fun!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts