What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluctuating battery life

Voodoochild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought myself a brand new ipad air 16gb last december but now i'm experiencing battery life problems with it ...

Lately my battery life is great for 2 or 3 days and then suddenly my battery drains at about twice the rate it normally does. Rebooting the ipad doesn't fix the problem but if i lay aside my ipad for a day and then try again next morning, my ipads battery usually works normally again.

The first thing i did, was turn off everything that affected battery life.
I really thought i'd solved the problem by turning off iCloud but that wasn't it.
Most worrisome is that my battery life is going down: i used to get 8-9 hours on a bad day ( compared to 13 hours on a good day) but the last few days i'm only getting about 7ish.

Has anyone any idea what is going on here?
What can i do to fix this?
I haven't tried upgrading to the latest version of iOs yet (it's still running 8.0) but i'm afraid it could make the problem more serious.
If that fails, is there anything else i could try?

Thanks in advance for any replies ...

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you comparing like usage ? Maybe it is an app that is using extra power. Check details in settings general usage battery usage and leave it to display app usage............By the way is your birthday really 1st April, or are you fooling ius ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
V

Voodoochild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already checked the usage of apps and its only safari and ibooks.
I also disabled apps updating in the background .

And yes, my birthday is april 1st :p.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Safari suspect. Surfing can take a lot of power. iBooks less so.

I regularly get over 8 hours per day usage using a variety of apps, and still have over 30% power left. I always leave my iPad on charge overnight.

Run the battery right down, well to say 10%, and the fully charge and see if that helps.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And by the way, happy birthday for this last Wednesday.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update to the latest version of iOS 8.x. The .0 versions always contain bugs, and often those bugs affect battery life. Any update after the initial version is almost always an improvement, and there are no known issues with the most current 8.2 update, which has been out for several weeks.

Unless you are jailbroke, in which case you're up the creek.

Be sure to reset the iPad after the update. Reseting before isn't a bad idea either. It gives the iPad the best chance to complete the update without problems; since there are no apps lingering in RAM that might slow things down.

If the problem continues after a day (the iPad sometimes needs to settle in after an update) then we can bang away at the problem some more.

Most reactions

Latest posts