Florida Panhandle & Tallahassee

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, May 24, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I suspect that plenty of pics and information will come out in the next few days showing the devastation along the Florida Gulf Coast and likely extending further inland - having driven a lot of that Panhandle coast line a few years ago, the structures, so close to the water, looked quite vulnerable - at the moment of this writing maybe one or several deaths - sure that more will occur but hopefully not that many? Dave :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Mexico Beach Devastated by Hurricane Michael Yesterday!

Today, the sun is out in Florida and the tremendous damage is being shown - Mexico Beach, the small coastal Florida town has been destroyed; some of the high rises and houses on stilts seem to be standing albeit damaged - just a few pics below - also, the link provides a video for those interested. The storm is now in the Carolinas - in our state (NC) rain will impact on the eastern half of the state later today, where Hurricane Florence flooded the area a month ago - this storm will likely add 'insult to injury' for those affected people. In my area, several inches of rain are expected (I hope that's all!). Dave :)
    MB_1.png MB_2.jpg MB_3.jpg MB_4.jpg MB_5.jpg MB_6.jpg

3. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    What a nightmare! We were fortunate to be in Florida between hurricanes. I hope our hotel in the Panhandle isn’t damaged.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, I was curious too - the WaterColor Resort is about 90 miles west of Mexico Beach, so could certainly have been damaged, BUT just got off their website and an announcement indicates minimum damage only; of course, not sure about the surrounding areas. :)
    Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 2.02.14 PM.png

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Panama City & Beach Devastated by Hurricane Michael

Panama City & Beach are just a half hour up the coast from Mexico Beach so was quite near the landfall of this storm - watching the Weather Station much of the day and the damage in the Panama City area w/ the sun shinning today is disheartening - some pics below (LINK) showing the destruction there. Dave :)

P.S. has been raining all day in our town - not much wind - BUT, the electricity just went out - have plenty of lights and a battery-powered radio, so listening to our local NPR station - also, have an oversized APC UPS attached to my cable modem & router, so still able to get on the internet (as I'm typing at the moment) - states that there is over 5 hrs of runtime.
    PCity_A1.jpg PCity_A2.jpg PCity_A3.jpg PCity_A4.jpg PCity_A5.jpg PCity_B1.jpg PCity_B2.jpg PCity_B3.jpg PCity_B4.jpg PCity_B5.jpg