What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floating mail icon in status bar

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I received the iPad yesterday and, obviously, the first thing I did was jailbreak it. After setting it up and visiting Cydia to download some apps, I noticed that my mail icon randomly appears next to the battery percentage. It may sometimes go away if I launch an app (I've noticed this with native apps), but that's not always a given.

I thought it was a theme (which may or may not have been compatible with the iPad), but I've since uninstalled it. The problem still pops up (no pun intended). After a hard reset, it still appeared as well.

The iPad is not even a day old, so if I have to, I'll just restore and set it up as new, but I'd rather hold off on that until further notice.

Has anyone come across this? I know I can just backtrack and uninstall each jailbreak app I installed, but I figured I'd ask just in case someone has seen this and knows what caused it.

I do have infinidock, but I uninstalled it. The problem still persists.

Attachments

• ipad_screengrab.jpg
    ipad_screengrab.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,242

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. That's a completely new one for me. But, then again, I'm new to the iPad2 jailbreak also! :D

Can you post a complete list of your stuff installed from Cydia?

We need to figure this out without you having to do a restore. Mainly because Apple HAS released the fix to the JailbreakMe 3.0 exploit. If you have a 3G/CDMA iPad, a restore will load that release...and you won't be able to go back down to 4.3.3 to re-jailbreak.

Marilyn

P.S. Just a tip for a new jail breaker: Save your SHSH blobs! :)

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get back in, I'll run down the apps I have installed.

For what it's worth, I do have my shsh blobs saved. It says so in Cydia, plus I have that sh**** app.

Thanks for replying. I'd rather not restore either since "they" would be winning. Plus, I'd like to know what it is for future references -- just in case anyone has the same problem.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two things, while you look:

1) Do you still have the Mail icon elsewhere, or is up in the status bar the only place you have it?

2) What is that theme you've got installed?

3) [I can't count] Does that icon work?

4) [...still] Is your iPad a 3G, or only WiFi?

Cause I'm thinking that whatever that theme is may be causing some of the havoc. I'd like to take a look at it...

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for attempting to help!

1- Yes, that mail icon is also on the dock. I had infinidock installed and had 6 or 7 apps there. After I removed the mail icon from there, then the iPod app floated in the status bar, so I removed that. Then, the calendar app floated and so on and so on. Down to one app, it was still floating in the status bar. I removed infinidock, but that didn't help. One app or four, it was still floating in the status bar.

2- I had either Psuave or Arc installed. I forget what it was because as soon as I saw this, I uninstalled it.

3- The icon does not work.

4- I have the 32 GB WiFi (I should have specified that in my signature).

I've already removed some apps that I thought were the culprit (such as Photomail, Gridlock, Barrel). Here are the apps that are left (I won't include some of the natively installed Cydia apps):

• Activator
  • Airplane SBSettings toggle
  • AttachmentSaver
  • Backgrounder
  • Bolt
  • BytaFont
  • CalendarPro4
  • Color Mail Labels
  • ColorShot
  • Comfortaa Font
  • Cydelete
  • DisplayOut
  • External iPod Controls
  • FakeClockUp
  • FakeLocation
  • FastCopy
  • Flashlight
  • FolderEnhancer
  • FullForce
  • FullScreen for iPad
  • Home Page in Safari
  • Homescreen Settings
  • Hunspell
  • iFile
  • Inspell
  • iRemix
  • iSocialShare
  • iStar Signal Bars (theme)
  • Josefin Sans Std Font
  • LockAlert
  • Locktopus
  • MailEnhancer
  • MarkRead
  • Masks
  • MobileTerminal
  • MultiIconMover
  • Music Controls Pro
  • My3G
  • OpenSSH
  • PictureMe
  • Pkgbackup
  • PlayAwake
  • Poof
  • pSuave SBSettings (theme)
  • Pull to Refresh for Mail
  • Pull to Refresh Safari
  • RemindMeLater
  • Remove Background + SBSettings toggle
  • Remove Recents
  • Reset Safari for SBSettings
  • Retina Pad
  • Rotation Inhibitor
  • Running Indicator
  • SBSettings + toggle
  • Shrink
  • Sirius4Ever
  • SplitMail for iPad
  • SwitcherMod
  • SwitcherPlus
  • Tab+
  • WeatherIcon
  • WeekinCal by Swirly
  • WinterBoard
  • Wraparound
Looking over this, there are a couple that I noticed that don't even work so I'll be clearing that out today (I'm currently at work). I paid for all these which is why I felt obligated to utilize them on the iPad :D

Any suggestions?

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa, talk about dumb luck. So I couldn't wait until I got home from work to play around with this to figure out the solution. Shhh, don't tell the bosses that I've been playing with this since I got here at 10 a.m.

Going through some of those apps that I have installed that I thought were the culprits, I removed them. Then, I started going through apps that I don't really need. The first one? Shrink. I figured what the hell do I need to shrink it down for, this is a bigger screen than the iPhone.

Sure enough, Shrink was causing that floating icon. I just reinstalled Infinidock (and the other apps that I thought were causing the problem: Gridlock, Five Icon Switcher, etc.), and no floating icons.

I'm surprised, considering Pheonix is the dev. Is there anyone else with Shrink installed on their iPad? Is it causing this problem or maybe was it a combination of apps?

Either way, no more floating icons! :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, first, I am thrilled this got resolved for you. Cause oh, what a mess!

Second, I have/use Shrink and I've never had these troubles. Actually, I only use Shrink to (1) make different colored fonts on the springboard and (2) make larger badges, mainly cause that's cool ... to me.

So, while I'm glad that your problem is fixed, I'm still going to look at the apps and tweaks you have loaded ... see if any of them could also cause trouble; or cause trouble in combo with others.

Regardless, as far as this original problem? Yay, it's solved! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions