What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flicking between Camera and video on Ipad3 issue...

timmiles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question in relation to the camera on my IPAD 3. Now although i never use it and most probably won't. One thing i notice is when i flick from Camera to Video using the 5mp Camera on the back of the device, it appears to automatically zoom. Now what i mean is... if i point the photo camera at the guitar in the corner of my room, it appears to be correct in the distance from where i am and what i'm pointing it at. Where as when i then switch to the video camera, it seems to magnify it and make the object appear closer than it is.

Can you clarify if this is an issue with my device or just how it is? I have tried a hard reset to no avail.

thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it and you're right,when in video mode it does show a zoomed in view compared to the still photo mode.

Welcome to the forum.Don't hesitate to come back if you have any more questions.

OP
T

timmiles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so so much!

Thanks also for the warm welcome, i thoroughly appreciate it! :)

iTazm0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question in relation to the camera on my IPAD 3. Now although i never use it and most probably won't. One thing i notice is when i flick from Camera to Video using the 5mp Camera on the back of the device, it appears to automatically zoom. Now what i mean is... if i point the photo camera at the guitar in the corner of my room, it appears to be correct in the distance from where i am and what i'm pointing it at. Where as when i then switch to the video camera, it seems to magnify it and make the object appear closer than it is.

Can you clarify if this is an issue with my device or just how it is? I have tried a hard reset to no avail.

thanks!

Welcome! I just upgraded to the 'new' iPad as well and am loving it!

I can't talk in exact technical detail, but I believe the "zoom" is either similar to the crop factor you get on a non-fullframe DSLR and/or the fact you're stretching fewer pixels over the sensor and basically enlarging them. It's a 5MP sensor with dimensions of 2592x1936 and when you flick to video mode you're only using 1900x1080 (or close) pixels of the sensor.

Well at least this is how I explained it to myself , lol. I'm sure someone can give a more technically omelette answer.. or correct me if I'm wrong... Hope it helps.

Last edited:

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would also hazard a guess that some pixels around the edge are used for video stabilization purposes and not included in video.

TheGrooby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tested this by taking video with my iPad 3 of something in my room. I lined the edge of my television screen with the edge of my viewport for recording video on the iPad. When I go back and watch the recorded video, what I see is instead of having the edge of the tv aligned with the edge of the iPad screen, there is extra resolution included (the wall in this case made it into the recorded video, but while recording I did not see the wall on the ipad screen). Whatever zoom the iPad is creating while in video record mode, it's still recording more than it shows...

Most reactions

Latest posts