What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash: Why so important to the Ipad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I knew it didn't support it (unless hacked). But I love it for what it is - I just wish it was a tad more flexible in certain areas, (Flash being one of them).

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have hit a couple of sites that use flash but nothing that stopped me doing what I wanted. Probably the worst was Odean Cinemas, here in the UK. They use a flash app to let you select your seats. No flash and it pops up a message to that effect, but there is an HTML version, just the link is pretty well hidden. Other than that no issues really.

Oh and as a web developer who uses JW player (excellent flash movie player), I just heard they have an HTML 5 version in beta testing. Examples on their support site and they work great on the iPad. We'll be moving our clients to this version as soon as it is full release. (and no I don't work for Longtail, just a starving web developer who likes their product).

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once JB, flash is supported? I hadn't heard that one....

Well - not "Adobe Flash" but "Frash". It's a hack, and while it's far from perfect, it's a step in the right direction (for some people). Google "flash running on ipad".

I'd love to see the ability to enable/disable Flash as needed. Online apps like Sumo Paint would be a blast to use on the iPad.

Personally, I got the iPad for several reasons. I wanted to have a portable portfolio to show off my photography. I wanted to have a digital sketchbook (Brushes and Sketchbook Pro have been great thus far). I wanted to have streaming Netflix in the palm of my hands! :D Everything thing else is gravy for me. My 3 year old son loves it for movies and games, and I'm enjoying ebook reading. I've also found a few other ways to apply it to my business over the last week and I'm sure I'll find more uses.

So the bottom line is, it's a great device for me, I just wish it did a little more in certain areas.

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true...they are all going html5 now. All a lack of flash does is frees you from advertising.

You don't think advertising won't go the HTML 5 route as well?
I have this bridge I can sell you, dirt cheap... ;)

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to add - lack of Flash won't free you from ads. That's Apple marketing talk and it's simply not true.

I'm looking at this very site on my iPad and there are ad banners across the page and on the right side of the forum index page. Flash obviously isn't running. Yet I open that same page on my laptop running Firefox with the adblock plus add-on and I don't see a single add... and my browser still supports Flash.

Before Apple acquired Quattro (a mobile advertising company) they were looking to purchase AdMob (which Google snatched from them,) to venture into the realm (and revenue stream) of mobile advertising. They also currently have a program in place called iAd to help developers target mobile users in their ads. Advertising will prevail no matter what platform you're on. It's just that it may not be in Adobe Flash. :)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you know that it didn't have flash when you got it?

I did and maybe that's the reason I bought it. Maybe I wouldn't like it if I hadn't had the choice.
I would also like to choose whether I want flash or not, but I can perfectly live without it, too. :)

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Grooveshark

Reading news sites with embedded videos you will just not see the videos, instead there will be a blank white area. This happens at least a dozen times each day for me, and is annoying as hell.

Various videos and links sent to you from friends will not work because of a lack of flash

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without flash, most ''Adult'' sites can't be viewed. I'm only telling the truth.:D

Similarly, without Flash most sites made for children also cannot be viewed which is a little bit of a bummer. I also knew going in that Flash was a no-go and Apple products will be that way forever, yet I still would like the option. The only site that really makes me want Flash capability is Hulu, which I am surprised more people don't bring up in the discussion. It is true that Hulu has a premium service that works with iOS devices as a paid service, but I still find myself pulling out the netbook when I want to catch up on TV shows. Lack of Flash isn't nearly enough to make me regret the Ipad however.

whoachubby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received another email from apple on The new shuffle and all of the photos had little question marks.

Does apple not realize we may open email on our ipads.
Seems strange.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No Flash isn't a deal-killer, but it's out there. It depends on where you go on the Internet, i guess. Many of the video sites out there use it exclusively. A lotbof restaurants, car dealers, and such build entire websites in flash.

Just remember that this is a mobile device - probably the best mobile device out for web surfing, but you don't have the "entire Internet" in your hands yet. Any content that requires a plugin other than maybe QuickTime will not work. No java either.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only inconvenience I have experienced in the week I have had my wonderful iPad is that I cannot play Farkle on it because of no Flash support - not really a big deal. You Tube videos play just fine though.
I hate to admit this but I like playing Farkle too. And I still can do it from my iPad :). I use iTap RDP to remote into my PC to do so. Works.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 340
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions