What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash Player

Shatob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - I had no idea how many web applications I use (such as weight watchers) that use Flash Player! Does anyone know any work arounds and the best way to stay informed on possible resolutions?
Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some third-party browsers 'sort of' support Flash by hosting the content on their web site. They can be satisfactory in some limited situations - results are mixed and members views are divided.

Have a look here - but also search the Forum - there are many, many threads and posts about Flash and browsers....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/20813-iswifter-another-flash-browser.html

Tim

ps here are Apple's official thoughts on Flash

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many of the popular web application sites have iPhone and/or iPad apps. If the sites don't mention them, then a search in the App Store may turn something up.

There are one or two Weight Watcher apps for the iPad, and more for the iPhone. The iPhone ones won't look as nice on the iPad, but you could still use them.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
Thank you for the article reference from Apple (Steve Jobs) about Flash. That really made things clear for me. I only have to use Flash for some training courses I have to take as they are all flash. I do use Puffin browser when I have to take those training courses in Flash. I use Terra browser most of the time. I like Safari on my iMac, but since it has no tabs on iPad, I don't use it most of the time.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Many of the popular web application sites have iPhone and/or iPad apps. If the sites don't mention them, then a search in the App Store may turn something up.

There are one or two Weight Watcher apps for the iPad, and more for the iPhone. The iPhone ones won't look as nice on the iPad, but you could still use them.

Excellent advice! This is not even a work-around but an actual solution. Thanks for the insight.

OP
S

Shatob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bettafan said:
Tim,
Thank you for the article reference from Apple (Steve Jobs) about Flash. That really made things clear for me. I only have to use Flash for some training courses I have to take as they are all flash. I do use Puffin browser when I have to take those training courses in Flash. I use Terra browser most of the time. I like Safari on my iMac, but since it has no tabs on iPad, I don't use it most of the time.

Thanks for your post. I installed Puffin and really like it. I have one question that you might know the answer to - I have tried to watch a video clip on Facebook. When I select the video it first brings up the flash player symbol. If I touch that the video will play but with no sound. Any experience with that? Thanks so much for your help!

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shatob said:
Thanks for your post. I installed Puffin and really like it. I have one question that you might know the answer to - I have tried to watch a video clip on Facebook. When I select the video it first brings up the flash player symbol. If I touch that the video will play but with no sound. Any experience with that? Thanks so much for your help!

Does Puffin play the ITV player?
I have tried iSwifter and it doesn't :(

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
Does Puffin play the ITV player?
I have tried iSwifter and it doesn't :(

Just added Puffin. Tried ITV Player and it doesn't. The reason is, I think, browsing the help/faqs, it diverts to web accelerator sites outside the UK so the ITV think you're non-UK even if you are.

It does play mp4 video streams from ubuweb which is what I wanted. So does iSwifter but I can't fathom this browser's settings. Where's the menu? Oh Puffin was only 59p, what the hell.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian russell said:
Just added Puffin. Tried ITV Player and it doesn't. The reason is, I think, browsing the help/faqs, it diverts to web accelerator sites outside the UK so the ITV think you're non-UK even if you are.

It does play mp4 video streams from ubuweb which is what I wanted. So does iSwifter but I can't fathom this browser's settings. Where's the menu? Oh Puffin was only 59p, what the hell.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Last edited:

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for the question about touching the Flash symbol that comes on the screen before the video - I never touch it. Just wait about a second and the video begins to play. That is what I do anyway it works for me. I like the Puffin browser and I can set tabs instead of having to go back "home" every time I change sites.:)

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bettafan said:
As for the question about touching the Flash symbol that comes on the screen before the video - I never touch it. Just wait about a second and the video begins to play. That is what I do anyway it works for me. I like the Puffin browser and I can set tabs instead of having to go back "home" every time I change sites.:)

Puffin isn't perfect but it's not nearly as gimpy as iSwifter. It plays mp4 vids streamed and flash audio players - though not before I worked out the default setting for audio is OFF; I was on the point of trying out the iPad as a frisbee.

Safari is probably the most stable but, for general browsing, I'm liking Mercury very much. It's good, with tabs, and has a neat bookmark bar.

Most reactions