What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flappy Bird Clones Flood the App Store, Almost 100 New Ones Daily

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
flappy-bird-clones.jpeg

By now, you have probably heard about the incredibly simple Flappy Bird game that has become an instant hit among mobile gamers. You might also recall that the game was pulled last month by its creator, Dong Nguyen, who said his game has become too addictive. When he removed his game, it was estimated that it was bringing him $50,000 per day from advertisements. And since it’s such a simple game, it’s obvious that dozens of developers have rushed in with their own Flappy Bird-like versions after the original version had been pulled down.

Stuart Dredge from The Guardian publication has analyzed all the new iOS games released in the App Store during a period of 24 hours. From almost 300 new iOS games, nearly one third of them were clones of the recent app phenomenon Flappy Bird which were literally flooding the iTunes Streo. Here’s what he said:

Today, when I launched my RSS reader, there were 293 new iOS games released since 5am yesterday morning. After scooting through them, I’ve been able to identify 95 that are obvious Flappy Bird-inspired games. The vast majority of these will sink without trace, of course. But at the time of writing, four of the top five free iPhone games in the US App Store fall into the Flappy genre – Flappy Wings, Hoppy Frog, Flying Cyrus – Wrecking Ball and Splashy Fish. In the UK, those four are all in the top 10

Albeit Apple was said to remove such games from the store, saying that “your app name attempts to leverage a popular appâ€, I’m sure that you will be able to find quite a lot of them. Here are some potential names – Tappy Bieber, Wander Ghost, Tappy Nyan, Tappy Duck – The Journey of a Flying Bird, Real Bird: Tap to Fly!, Flying Unicorn – Fly Like a Bird!, Foating Felix and many others.

Have you come across any of these games? Do you think this craziness should stop?

Source: iPhoneForums

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You know what? I think this should stop.

Many games have been emerging in the app store. Most of them was flappy birds clone. I always thought flappy bird is stupid. If this keeps going on the app store would be a bad excuse for a, well app store.

I don't even know why apple lets these kinds of apps get to the app store! Apple should be more restrictive with their app stores!

Most reactions