FLAC music on linux server (smb) why is this so hard on ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by greenfish, Aug 1, 2013.

1. greenfish

greenfish
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My setup: linux server loaded with music (all FLAC) using samba protocol. I own a few apps that do play my music on the server but it's far from perfect. Why can't I play my flac files from a network share and still view them in a nice flow of album art you get from music player within iphone?

Why doesnt itunes support flac or samba, a standard that came out 20 years sgo...

My ipad is not jailbroken, im on the newest apple fw.

Is there a way to solve my mess, an appthat plays flac, supports smb AND displays all albums like lovely album art?

Thank you

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well Greenfish - welcome to the forum! :) Nothing wrong w/ the iPad - the device supports the audio codecs quoted below - if you want a 'lossless' audio file, then you'll need to convert to to AIFF or WAV; if you want a 'storage saving' option, then you'll need to convert to AAC or MP3 (I used the latter on my iPod Touch & iPad). FLAC is a nice free lossless codec and great for digital storage of CDs (if you want to dumped the physical media) but for playback on standard CD players - well, a major problem? Good luck - Dave

3. greenfish

greenfish
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the warm welcome sir!

Alas i'm not looking for a way to store my digital media on my idevice. Instead i'm after a streaming service. It took me awhile but I finally found an almost perfect solution. I'm using subsonic on my linux server and isub (ipad) client to stream my flac rips. Apple would make a fortune if they made the ipad default music player accept streaming services/coverflow instead of the prison app we have now.

Thanks anyways for trying to help me!

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Greenfish - sorry about my misunderstanding of your needs w/ the FLAC files - obviously I thought that you wanted to 'load' the music onto the iPad - BUT, appears that you have found a great solution - I'll have to take a look @ the app myself! Thanks - :)