What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five IOS devices...five downloads?

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to download the OS update only ONCE for multiple devices?

When I tried DOWNLOAD ONLY I never found the file again and had to download ANOTHER time. :(

Rokrdude2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try to download from direct links(search in forums) than update it using itunes

Reaction score
For one, each device has a different iOS firmware update, unless you were referring to five iPad's of the same configuration, as there are different firmware's for Wifi-only, 3G AT&T and 3G Verizon.

Anyway, you could download iOS directly from Apple, rather than using iTunes Download&Update function. A list with the available iOS 4.3.3 downloads can be found in the following sticky:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

However, if you already have installed the update on one device, than the firmware can be found under
C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
This is assuming, that you are using Windows. Also Windows tends to empty that folder after a restart.

On a Mac, iTunes is supposed to store the firmware updates here:

Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iTunes/iPod Firmware

OP
P

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that info! Thought the iOS was generic between the devices.

Now it doesn't seem near as bad!

Thanks again!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded through iTunes once for my iPad 2, then it automatically kicked in when I synched my iPad 1. No need to download repeatedly. I did have to download separate versions for my iPhone and touch, though. It indicates that they're specific to the type of device when you download.

Jarhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually if you select download only in iTunes you only have to download it once, then install multiple times. I'm pretty sure that I updated mine and my wife's iPhone 4s, my Grandmothers iPad and our iPad 2 from one download.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually if you select download only in iTunes you only have to download it once, then install multiple times. I'm pretty sure that I updated mine and my wife's iPhone 4s, my Grandmothers iPad and our iPad 2 from one download.

If this is the case, why are there specific versions of each firmware update for each type of device? (iPad vs. iPhone vs. iPod vs. touch?) If you google and visit various sites, they will have separate links for each device. On iTunes, the updates also are labeled differently when you download, specifying iPad, iPhone, etc. That selection is automated, though, when you plug in your device.

Jarhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm..I could be wrong. I had a two year old and a two month old I was also dealing with at the time.

I do know if you let iTunes do what it likes without using the download only option first it will download and install for each device, identical or not.

32gig iPhone 4 Black/16gig iPad 2 Black

Most reactions

Latest posts