What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time Apple user, what do I need to do first?

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased IPad2 (Wifi only), my first Apple product, on my visit to Singapore a few days back.
I am used to Windows / Linux (a bit) and Android.

So I need some advice on what should I do first. I have registered a user id and am able to download from the App Store. Are there any other essentials I need to take care of? Any kind of suggestions and advice will be appreciated. The Ipad will mainly be used by my kids for games and browsing the net. Maybe facebook.

I do have some questions :
1) Is any antivirus needed? If yes, which one is recommended?
2) Should I update to IOS 6 (currently have 5.1.1)? Is it stable and recommended?
3) Is there a recovery procedure in case something goes wrong, like hardware factory reset?
4) Can I backup all the data/apps? Maybe I need to look at the manual.

5) Should I Jailbreak? I am used to rooting on Android devices.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) no. No need for that.
2). Tricky. You lose google maps and the YouTube app. You get apple maps and have to download some other YouTube app. Lots of folks have had problems, but it also fine for many. I would suggest you google the new features I iOS 6 to see if any of them are important to you. Also, if you do update, you won't be able to jailbreak until one is discovered for the new OS.
3) yea, but you need to back up using iTunes.
4) iTunes backs up settings. Apps handle their data, some use iCloud. Some apps, like iBooks, won't backup any PDFs you load into it. So beware. Apps get stores on your pc when you backup in iTunes. And they can be redownloaded.
5) Personal decision. You need to decide this for yourself. That option is currently still open to you. We have subforums here on the topic. You may wish to hang out there.

Best.

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is there any alternative to iTunes? I have read it is a bloated piece of software.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jesrani said:
Thanks for the reply. Is there any alternative to iTunes? I have read it is a bloated piece of software.

It may or may not be bloated software but it does exactly what it says on the tin and for me it has been working flawlessly for years.......whilst their are other methods of backing up, transferring files, etc I don't think there is anything else which could replace it fully as all iDevices are designed (through iOS) to work with iTunes. It is also the software to connect to if you have one of those rare instances of a major problem.

The Archangel

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may or may not be bloated software but it does exactly what it says on the tin and for me it has been working flawlessly for years.......whilst their are other methods of backing up, transferring files, etc I don't think there is anything else which could replace it fully as all iDevices are designed (through iOS) to work with iTunes. It is also the software to connect to if you have one of those rare instances of a major problem.

The Archangel

Thanks. I downloaded and installed iTunes, connected the iPad and backed up. Quite easy and not a problem. Now I have some more questions :
1) I tried to download asphalt 7 free on the iPad and it was quite slow. Then checked on iTunes that it was a 1.1GiB download. I have a 2Mbps connection and get download speeds of about 200Kbps regularly. But even when I tried to download in iTunes, it showed 5-6 Hrs download time. Is it supposed to be so slow?
2) I want to transfer some picture folders and music folders, keeping the folder structure, into the iPad. How do I do this? There is only a Sync option. Can I not just copy paste like in explorer? With the iPad connected, I can view the contents but cannot paste due to the different file structure. Is there an iPad explorer software or something like that?
3) Can I backup the complete OS? How?
4) When I power off, is that like a complete shut down or like hibernation?

Still learning and currently loving the iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jesrani said:
Thanks. I downloaded and installed iTunes, connected the iPad and backed up. Quite easy and not a problem. Now I have some more questions :
1) I tried to download asphalt 7 free on the iPad and it was quite slow. Then checked on iTunes that it was a 1.1GiB download. I have a 2Mbps connection and get download speeds of about 200Kbps regularly. But even when I tried to download in iTunes, it showed 5-6 Hrs download time. Is it supposed to be so slow?
2) I want to transfer some picture folders and music folders, keeping the folder structure, into the iPad. How do I do this? There is only a Sync option. Can I not just copy paste like in explorer? With the iPad connected, I can view the contents but cannot paste due to the different file structure. Is there an iPad explorer software or something like that?
3) Can I backup the complete OS? How?
4) When I power off, is that like a complete shut down or like hibernation?

Still learning and currently loving the iPad.

Here goes (as best as I can!)......

1) connection speed is dictated by the slowest link in the chain......bandwidth, router, iPad. It's then further affected by other gadgets connected to your router, either wired or wirelessly. It is then affected again by the amount of users in your area using the same service. I've never found my iPad to be slow at downloading unless something else is affecting it.

2) there may be apps to help with this, it's not something that I need so I have no idea.

3) sync your iPad to iTunes, it will back up your iPad so that if everything goes south you can restore your iPad from that backup.

4) hmm, when the power is off, it's off (using the on/off button), if it's in sleep mode then there are processes that will still be running.

I hope that helps.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts