First impression, well....underwhelmed

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by pixelpeeper, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Daylife

Daylife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    What other Improvements would you want? Lol apple upgraded everything........CPU, screen, camera, kept the battery the same, LTE....Price.... What else would you want?

The reason why movies and pictures look the same is because the resolution on the photos and movies has not changed.

#11 Daylife, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    He's only got a few posts - doesn't the forum prevent newer users from starting threads until they've reached a certain number?

3. pixelpeeper

pixelpeeper
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No. I just signed up and posted my thread immediately :)

4. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    New members can begin posting new threads right away. You are thinking of the the 4 post minimum before they can include an appropriate link that supports a thread and adheres to forum rules.

#14 skimonkey, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The greenish tint may be an issue with the glue for the screen. For several years, it has been a panic/gripe point. The glue needs time to fully cure, but not all cure at the same rate. Sometimes when they are in high production mode, there are reports of a yellowish tint. But shortly after, the tint goes away.

Everyone's perception is different. I was comparing my iPad original with my new iPad and told my wife to se how thinner and lighter it was. She could not tell the difference. Sheesh.

6. ilaila

ilaila
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the opinions here .... I had an iPad 1 and now the 3. I love having a camera and some of the other features the 1 does not have but I didn't see a huge difference in the display. If I had not known it was supposed to be better, I may not have even thought to compare. The color is nice and seems to be accurate. For those with an original iPad I think the 3 is worth the upgrade, but I think the difference between the 2 and 3 is minimal.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Seems that it can depend on the batch.

My iPad 1 is true white. My husband's iPad 1 is yellowish. My iPad 2 is yellowish. (I happen to prefer yellowish.) When iPad 2 came out, some users complained about yellowish tint (overall, not blotches), while others said theirs were true white. This is not related to glue; the iPads in my household look the same as day of purchase, and the screen differences are apparent.

8. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

It won't be glue, it's secured with special double side tape under the black screen border, thats one of the main reasons you have a black border, to hide whats underneath. However the digitizer glass panel which is also secured round the edges directly to the edges of the glass may affect the hue if not 100% perfectly clear, so in effect you look through the front glass then the digitizer screen which is necessary to decode the touch function, and the LCD panel is attached directly to that.
    I would think any hue issue is more than likely tolerances when setting up the white balance at the factory, and as the original poster discovered LCD panels when not at optimum brightness can indeed result in their white balance changing slightly.

#18 Lunar, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  9. saholz

saholz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly what my reaction has been. My iPad2 was fine and, I must say, the new iPad is an improvement. I've done several side by side comparisons between pictures I shot with the 2 and the new one, and the difference in image quality is huge. The iPad2's camera was really marginal and barely adequate for any photography. Granted, this isn't its prime mission in life, but it's nice to know you can now expect at least acceptable image quality with the built-in camera. I have my Canon 40D with an assortment of lenses when I get serious, but it is fun to snap away with the iPad.

I too noticed the increase in text resolution ... good text is now razor sharp. I have yet to notice any great difference in graphics quality, but my apps are not optimized for the retina display.

All in all, I would call the new iPad evolutionary rather than revolutionary. A welcome upgrade and, to me, worth the money. It does not, however, leave the iPad2 in the dust which is why, I think, Apple is continuing to sell the iPad2 at a reduced price. Both are great units, but the new iPad has somewhat better technology with its new display, processor, and 4G capability.

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I figure it's win-win:

If the new iPad's features are compelling enough to a buyer, that person gets the latest and greatest for the same price as the original iPads.

If the new iPad's features aren't compelling enough to an iPad 1 or 2 owner, then that person is still happy with his hardware and has saved 500 bucks or more.

I'm still happy with iPad 1 and 2, and am thrilled that Apple produced a tablet that really launched the tablet market. I'd wanted a tablet for years, and it took Apple to get one to market that was useful enough for a nontech like me.

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing what else Apple will come up with.