What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First ever ipad.. Not impressed.WiFi Problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
usually When i connect my iPad to the computer it makes that "baseball" like sound, i was expecting the same sound when plugging into the wall charger. Nothing happens, the screen doesn't turn on, nothing shows up. and it doesn't charge.

Yep. Sounds like a bad charger. Not common, but not unheard of either. Apple should replace it for free under their standard one year hardware warrantee.

OP
M

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. Sounds like a bad charger. Not common, but not unheard of either. Apple should replace it for free under their standard one year hardware warrantee.

I didn't purchase directly from an apple store, will they still replace it?

Also, some more news on the WiFi front - I have searched on the internet for a firmware upgrade for my WGR614v3 router, unfortunately it already has the latest firmware, i really don't want to have to go out to buy another router. If So, Does anyone know of a Wireless router that works with iPad and available in New Zealand?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't purchase directly from an apple store, will they still replace it?

As long as it's new it's covered under Apple's standard warrantee. https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Also, some more news on the WiFi front - I have searched on the internet for a firmware upgrade for my WGR614v3 router, unfortunately it already has the latest firmware, i really don't want to have to go out to buy another router. If So, Does anyone know of a Wireless router that works with iPad and available in New Zealand?

Can't help you with that, though if you want to supply a free round trip ticket to New Zealand I'd be happy to help you shop. I've always wanted to visit. ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't help you with that, though if you want to supply a free round trip ticket to New Zealand I'd be happy to help you shop. I've always wanted to visit. ;)

Hahahaha i could only just afford this iPad let alone free round trip :p

macinput

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To op please try your new iPad on another WiFi before you make any changes to your existing setup. Just got my new iPad 2 4 weeks ago, most fantastic gadget I've ever purchased, I've been working with all sorts of computer tech devices for 20 years, changed to Apple devices 2 years ago best move ever made.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

boomer1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
macinput said:
To op please try your new iPad on another WiFi before you make any changes to your existing setup. Just got my new iPad 2 4 weeks ago, most fantastic gadget I've ever purchased, I've been working with all sorts of computer tech devices for 20 years, changed to Apple devices 2 years ago best move ever made. dde04

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

My experience is very similar to yours I went Mac and will not go back. After getting my second Mac (Mac Book Pro ), Belkin router needed routine firmware upgrade, however Belkin had no upgrade for Mac. Long story short, poor product support from Belkin. I picked up a refurb Airport Express router (from Apple.com), wow, what a positive difference! Again, I went Mac and will not go back! The Apple router is a tank, it just works....very well!!

Good luck.
YMMV,
Boomer

Sent from my sleek, black iPadusing iPF

MsTeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrSquishyBoots said:
usually When i connect my iPad to the computer it makes that "baseball" like sound, i was expecting the same sound when plugging into the wall charger. Nothing happens, the screen doesn't turn on, nothing shows up. and it doesn't charge.

I know this seems obvious, but is the wall plug active? I ask because on Christmas morning, I was so excited to charge up the iPad I plugged it into an outlet in our seldom used living room. Two hours later, I come back and discover nothing has happened. My 13 year old did the trouble shooting by plugging in a working lamp, and then switching the mysterious switch on the wall that never did anything. Voila! Also, found that the cord that plugs into the iPad is at a sort of strange angle, and that I have to be very cautious at making sure it is seated. This is further complicated by the case I have chosen. Just another thought. I hope you have everything up and running soon. Good luck!

OP
M

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this seems obvious, but is the wall plug active? I ask because on Christmas morning, I was so excited to charge up the iPad I plugged it into an outlet in our seldom used living room. Two hours later, I come back and discover nothing has happened. My 13 year old did the trouble shooting by plugging in a working lamp, and then switching the mysterious switch on the wall that never did anything. Voila! Also, found that the cord that plugs into the iPad is at a sort of strange angle, and that I have to be very cautious at making sure it is seated. This is further complicated by the case I have chosen. Just another thought. I hope you have everything up and running soon. Good luck!

No offence, im not that much of a rookie to make that Mistake :p hahah.
Good news though

$160NZD later and i got my iPad working on the internet... brought a new NETGEAR N300 router. Working fine currently ( touch wood).
Still no luck on the charger though. I Think i will take it back to apple see what they can do.

lwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... brought a new NETGEAR N300 router. Working fine currently ( touch wood).

Glad it's working for you! But, tell me, what did you set the wireless security to in the new router......or did you let the bundled software do that for you?

I am thinking the WPA-PSK was the issue before...especially if the encryption was not what the device expected to see. (WPA usually "expects" to see TKIP while WPA2 usually "expexts" to see AES. If you change those at the router, you may have to manually specify that in the connecting device.)

Most reactions

Latest posts