What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first doubts

hilfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I have just bought an IPAD 2 and this is the very first time I use something from Apple.
So my as you may guess I have a lot of doubts.

1: I would like to use my Ipad to connect to my network and see contents that I have on my server (movies, music etc...) is this possible ???
If possible can you please show me a step by step guide to do it ??

tks in advance.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
you can view your network on your ipad via a pc/mac, using a remote viewing app like Splashtop. (it's all pretty easy and self explanatory when you get the app). but you cant just use your ipad like Windows Explorer or Finder to arrange and organise your media on it - Apple does this automatically for you. you still need a front end program, usually itunes on your main computer, to transfer media over to the ipad. you can just wirelessly buy and install new media directly to your ipad, but for your existing library you'll need to sync via something like itunes.

OP
H

hilfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so let me see if I undersatnd.

I have to install Itunes (something I hate) on my windows PC.
Install splashshot on my Ipad and access my media through Itunes ???

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok so let me see if I undersatnd.

I have to install Itunes (something I hate) on my windows PC.
Install splashshot on my Ipad and access my media through Itunes ???

Actually, splastop is to be installed on both your pc and your ipad. Then you can access anything on your pc with your ipad. No need to go to itunes unless the media you want to view is in itunes.

OP
H

hilfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I guess splashstop is a paid soft.Right ?? and by the way which one to dowmload ?? There are several splashshots !!

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
You want Splashtop remote access for iPad add. You need to buy, install the app, and install the gateway app on your pc. It's pretty simple stuff. I'm no technical bod ut can do it easily.

Splashtop will allow you to view pc activity and the pc's screen via your iPad. That's all. It will also allow you to view your library's and networks through the pc. It'll view what the pc views. Its just a remote portal. Yes you can also activate the pc's mouse and click and do actions, but due to the nature of it its most restrictive.
But it won't allow the iPad to download and copy material to it this way. You need a portal to do this. iTunes is the natural method.

This must be done by dragging and dropping via iTunes on your pc. The conventional way of transfering your media to the iPad is usually done via iTunes on your pc, uploading and syncing via the iCloud, or emailing yourself media, and again, this can be done hard wired or wirelessly.

The iPad is the end station where stuff ends up. You can't use the iPad to direct media to it.

Last edited:
OP
H

hilfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm I really don't know what to do.

I bought this device yestarday and I'm regretting I did.

So far I didn't manage to drop one single video file or music on it.Nothing seems to work.Sorry but I'm disapointed.

Last thing I tried was a convertion of an avi to mp4,then I conected Ipad to PC but no way to move mp4 file tothe IPAD !!

Besides that applestore seems to be an money sucker.Every single application has to be paid.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Ok. So all you want to do it put your media into the iPad.

99.9% of us do this via iTunes on our pc or mac. Make sure you install the most up to date version first off. Now, hard wire your iPad to your pc. In iTunes, your iPad should show up on the left hand side menus. Now, just drag music and media from your library's onto the iPad section in iTunes and it should sync or copy over. This is fundamental to nearly all idevice owners.

You'll soon pick it up.

Btw, I also HATE iTunes with a vengeance.

Don't give up so easily just at the starting post. You just need to get used to apples ways. It'll soon fit into place and you'll be glad you stuck with it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Send it back than if you are finding that it doesn't fit your specified needs. You will be much happier that way, rather than trying to convince yourself otherwise.

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused. The OP said this is his first apple product, but also hates iTunes.

Where did the iTunes hate come from? It's not a perfect program but I'm curious as to why the OP hates it.

As for putting movies on the iPad, it's pretty easy but not without iTunes IME. The two go hand in hand. Get something like AV player and just drag most video files to it, no need to convert them.

It's early days, I say stick with it, but IME it can't totally replace a PC.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Honestly mate, it's worth sticking with it. You've spent a small fortune, expecting the best, and, to be honest, the iPad is head over heals above it's nearest tablet competitors for several good reasons.

The trick is setting up iTunes on your pc the way you like it, ie, getting all your videos and music in library's on your computer in iTunes the way you,re happy with. It's literally just a case of dragging and dropping media over to your device then.

My iPad is always connected wirelessly. This means it automatically syncs and backs up without me even being aware, then when I want to add or take off media it literally is a simple case of drag and drop.
As I say, I hate iTunes, especially as I'm a Windows user of 20+ years, but it's a lesser evil I,ve gotten used to. I love my iPad immensely, but sometimes minor irritations (like iTunes) have to be put up with.

Then, there,s not much your iPad won't do. You can watch movies and listen to music in almost any format on it for instance. I use my iPad for Word and Excel duties as well. And when you add video Skype and some of the most awesome games on the hand held market into the mix you're onto the market's winner by far.

There are iTunes alternatives and alternatives to getting media to and from your device, but you need some experience and savvy before you go down those routes.
You just need to spend time using and getting used to your device for a few days. Then you'll quickly understand how it operates and the general limitations you're dealing with.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts