What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firmware Update icon in setting?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried searching but couldn't find any solution on how to get rid of the firmware update icon in settings without being jailbroken. Is there a way to get rid of this badge icon without updating, or should I just update? thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tried searching but couldn't find any solution on how to get rid of the firmware update icon in settings without being jailbroken. Is there a way to get rid of this badge icon without updating, or should I just update? thanks
On a stock non-jailbroken device there's no way to get rid of the red update button in settings without actually doing the update. Whether or not to update is up to you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iOS 8.1.2 update is about as safe as they get. If you are already on 8, then there's no real reason not to do this update. You can also feel relatively safe using the OTA update method with these smaller version increases. At least on newer iPads.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I updated OTA. You said that it's safe OTA update with these smaller updates, what size of the update do I need to use iTunes, or can I do OTA update of any size with this device?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible to update OTA, even if it's a major upgrade of the software. That's what I did with my iPad Air until now, but it's a new device, not even a year old. I don't update OTA with my iPad 2.

Here's great advice from @twerppoet (as usual) in another thread:
http://www.ipadforums.net/posts/1082898/
There's another post of him below that's worth reading as well.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated OTA. You said that it's safe OTA update with these smaller updates, what size of the update do I need to use iTunes, or can I do OTA update of any size with this device?
Updates of any size can be downloaded OTA but you need a good internet connection. If the connection is interrupted for any reason, the update will fail and you'll have to start over. If you first download the update file to itunes on your computer, the actual upgrade time after you connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer, will be substantially quicker.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In 4 years having iPhone and iPad, never done OTA update because both devices are jailbroken. Now that I have new device and will not jailbreak again, I'll much rather update OTA. I'll make sure my wifi is good before doing that, thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts