What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIOS Speed Optimizer

Reaction score
I have Verizon FIOS Internet. I have optimized my windows based devices, and it has increased their speeds. I want to do the same with my IPad Mini 2, but the FIOS Speed Optimizer states "not for IOS products' when I have attempted it.

In my monthly bill, there is always additional ads stating use your ipad and iPhone on FIOS.

Verizon tech support says there is an app for MAC products, but they don't seem to understand MACS are a different creature.

I even tried APPLE Support, who state it would be up to Verizon to come up with the appropriate optimizer.

Anyone out there who can help.

It would be much appreciated.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, but I appreciate the help. I have that app and it is good for what it does, which is to advise what is available on tv and giving you the opportunity to record it.
I am looking for the app which will speed up my internet.
Thanks!!!

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my monthly bill, there is always additional ads stating use your ipad and iPhone on FIOS.

Verizon tech support says there is an app for MAC products, but they don't seem to understand MACS are a different creature.

I even tried APPLE Support, who state it would be up to Verizon to come up with the appropriate optimizer.
Have you passed on Apple Support's response to Verizon's tech support for their comments? Have you contacted the advertiser which suggests using FIOS on an Ipad?

OP
J
Reaction score
Verizon put right back on Apple. As far as the advertiser, I probably wasn't clear. It is Verizon's propaganda within their bill that tells me to use my iPhone and ipad on FIOS.

Thanks for your comments, though.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recall seeing the same ad a little while ago. It was just a way to promote buying a data iPad from Verizon really. There's no optimization needed or available between iOS and FiOS AFAIK since that's all hardware dependent with respect to most tablets

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can think of only two way to compress/optimize internet for the iPad.

One is to create an app that does all the browsing. The optimization would only work in that app. The Opera Mini web browser was optimized/compressed at one time. I don't know if it still is. It is not possible for an app to optimize the internet for other apps or the system itself. Apps are not give that level of system access by iOS. Most desktop computer OS's can install software that will override, or intercept all internet data; which is why it's fairly easy to do on those platforms.

This method uses software to do the compressing/decompressing. It is not as efficient or as fast as using built in hardware. I suspect that hardware is what the Verizon router FIOS stuff uses.

The other method is to use a proxy. In this method all data is compressed at a remote server, in between the internet and iPad. It is more limited, since all it can do is strip out unnecessary stuff and further compress other files like jpg and audio (degrading their quality). An app can be used to set up a proxy, but it does not actually do anything with the data itself. With current data speeds being what they are, and most people expecting high quality pictures, audio, video, etc., almost no one does this anymore. It was fairly common when people were still transitioning between dial-up and faster technologies.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Good thoughts on using browsers and proxies. That is why I started reading this forum when I received my IPad Mini 2 two months ago.

Thanks for the input!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts