What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fine tipped stylus

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a fine tipped stylus for my iPad?

All styluseseses you buy usually have a rounded thick rubber tip. I'm looking for something more akin to a pen or pencil tip.

I appreciate I won't get a finer line on the screen; this is not my aim. I just want a more pencil-like stylus.

Thanks

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Absolutely I search, I even authored one of those threads ;)

But there's no specifics on buying or even taking about current fine tipped styluseseses on the market place.

I must get round to trying to make my own. Just finding the time and effort.

Ps - I moderate and super moderate a couple of other forums on the web thingy, so yup, I'm fully versed in forum etiquette :)

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree whole heartedly. Hate the current crop of fat styluses.
Let's know if you have any luck in your search.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's going to be very hard to design a fine tipped stylus. Capacitive touch screens are not very sensitive. If you are familiar with how a capacitor works the determining factors are the distance between the conductors, the dielectric material (stuff between the conductors) and the surface area. Since you can't control distance or material you are limited to surface area, or, a big tip.

It might be possible to create an active pen that uses a charge of some sort to make the tip smaller, but I'd be very cautious with that approach. I don't know if it is possible to damage the screen this way. Probably not without a substantial charge, but a dead screen is a high price just to find out how substantial.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking about that one, but read a few reviews that said it only works well if you hold it at the angle it was designed for. That would probably be ok for taking notes, but very awkward if you were trying to draw.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but seen on 1 of the vids how the head flexes slightly when using to draw....let ya know when it arrives.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but seen on 1 of the vids how the head flexes slightly when using to draw....let ya know when it arrives.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I use my pogo on occasion, but it's only sightly better than a finger in most situations.

TimR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found 2 that seems to be more your kind of fine tipped stylus and like me i was looking for those as well:

One is the Cregle iPen and the other is ByZero

Most reactions

Latest posts