What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding new sources for Cydia

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
The first point to this thread is how does a person find new Source's to add to Cydia?
Ive seen them called both source's and repo's, I realise the more you have then the more scope for apps appearing in the Cydia search lists.
Can we use this thread for adding too as we find them. Or is that pointless?

For those who don't know how to add source...

To add a repo/source, go to Cydia, click on Sources at bottom of screen, then click on edit top right of screen and then click on add which is top left of screen.....this will open the http screen, add the web address you are given and press add source, then press done to the top right of screen......and that should now increase your search list.

Also when you add a source, click on it and a list appears of the objects within that item.

One I was told to add that gave me some good stuff was.....

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios

This gave me the multimedia centre I use for watching all my movies wirelessly from my P.C.

Remember I am a noob and if any of this is wrong please feel free to edit and change. Also, please remember that this site operates a no piracy rule....any sites that the moderators deem to promote piracy will be deleted and the person who added it will be warned.

Thanks for your time and enjoy this whole new world that has been opened up to us!!

Last edited:

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I added XBMC to my jailbroken iPad last week, and my life has been that much better!

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3).. d(-_-)b

one_crazy_dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silent Assassin said:
I added XBMC to my jailbroken iPad last week, and my life has been that much better!

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3).. d(-_-)b

How bout a little description also of why the repo(or repo's others might add to this thread) might be so worthy to add.

OP
TheRambler

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
XBMC in my opinion is the best way to view videos, photo's and listen to music wirelessly from your computer onto your iPad!!

c921ef29.jpg

I use a D-link, which is a wireless hard drive system, it is loaded with 2 x 2GB drives, one I use for music and one I use for videos. Rather than having DVD boxes and CD cases scattered around the house, I rip everything onto my drives, I then use my iPad or my apple TV, both which are loaded with XBMC, to view or listen to them.

fbacd72b.jpg

I can also set the local weather on it to check out weather to go for a walk or just settle back and load another album up!!

9687d881.jpg

I hope this helps, and remember, as it's a free app, you could always delete it if your not totally happy with it......but I'm sure that won't be the case.

Sorry about the photos being side on.....forgot to rotate them!!

Last edited:

Ilikeapps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rambler can you load your videos, music and photos from your ipad to it and just watch everything from there?
ty

Ilikeapps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I really just download movies to the iPad now and was wondering if I could keeping everything in that app?

Zermelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first point to this thread is how does a person find new Source's to add to Cydia?
Ive seen them called both source's and repo's, I realise the more you have then the more scope for apps appearing in the Cydia search lists.
Can we use this thread for adding too as we find them. Or is that pointless?

When I first started jailbreaking, I would just add sources as I found them for getting the apps I needed. For example, I would watch a youtube video on themes or something, and they would tell you to add this url to the sources. But this method turned out to be messy, after a while I ended up with dead sources and cydia would take forever trying to get the packages from all the sources.

I also realized that many of the apps available in different sources overlapped, so it became confusing where to get the app from as there would be different versions from different sources.

Eventually, I realized that I only needed a few sources to get the apps I wanted and now I only use about 4 or 5. The other problem about adding sources from some instruction video or site is that it may have pirated apps or can simply have harmful apps. Remember, now that your device can run unsigned code, it can run dangerous code if you alllow it. So you have to be careful about what sources you add. There is a pretty standard list of trusted ones.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rambler can you load your videos, music and photos from your ipad to it and just watch everything from there?
ty

If you're asking if you can load/play the media directly from the ipad....Yes

Well after an hour of searching every file that I could find, I think the answer I have to give you is NO!! Sorry.

I will try moving a movie into a different file and see how that goes?

When adding a new source...tap browse...Home folder....which takes you to root directory on iPad and then you can navigate to which ever folder your media is located in.

1d241f88.jpg

Iffffffff that was, what you were asking...

Most reactions