What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Find My Ipad?

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone explain how Find My Ipad work and how to set it up. Also is there something like this for the iphone? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how Find My Ipad work and how to set it up. Also is there something like this for the iphone? Thanks

Go to your Settings app and press the line titled "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." One of the e-mail functions at the top is iCloud. Press that line and somewhere near the bottom is a toggle for "Find My iPad." Make sure it's turned on and that's it, you are done. You don't have to anything else turned on under iCloud and it will work. In fact, I don't even use iCloud and my toggle is on.

You can do this same process with the iPhone.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah but how do I get notified where it is at?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you download the app: FindiPhone? This is a universal app. Launch it, the app will search for your iDevices. This works only with your iDevices that is registered with your Appleid. I don't think there is a setting in the app that will tell you where your devices are located. I think the assumption is that you need this app when an iDevice goes missing. I have a friend who has several iDevices. He has given his daughter and son, both still lives with him, an iPhone, these are registered with his Appleid and anytime he wants to know where these iPhones are, he pulls up the app and viola! He knows where the phones are...he assumes his teenager is attached to it. Sneaky huh?

Last edited:

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If location services is on a map will show you the location (approximate if wifi only) Also the iPad must be on.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, MattIM....i've been wondering this same thing...the app, it named Find iPhone once you download it, in the app store it is Find My iPhone. It works well but it still shows in the device list the two iPad 2s that I no longer own.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you disposed of your other two iPads did you wipe the iPads back to "factory setting"? When I had to return my iPad (3rd gen), I had everything all set up including Find My iPad app and registering it on iCloud, etc. The technician that worked with me to replace this iPad with a new one, showed me that he was wiping the iOS of all traces of my iPad and my information. He showed me how to do it in settings. Just to prove to myself that I could not longer see that device, I went home and launched this app on an existing iPad and sure enough, I could no longer find it.

If you can still see your former devices-->that could be good and bad. Good-->you know where those iPads are or bad, in certain cases all of your apps are being used by the new owner...however, this isn't all that alarming since, they have to know your passwords to get access to any password protected information. Another good thing about being able to see those iPads is you can send a message to the new owners telling them to kindly create their own Appleid?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, both of them were reset to factory setting...it seems that telling apple those devices are no longer mine is the issue.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Yes, both of them were reset to factory setting...it seems that telling apple those devices are no longer mine is the issue.

If you launch this app, by the two devices next to the no longer owned by you devices, is there a red dot by the that device? If you did indeed reset to factory setting, and you have not seen any connection to those devices then delete them from the app. I hope I did not cause you undue concern about those iPads.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check. Done. Oh, no, I wasn't worried about those iPads...the first one was defective...and the second one I sold off to Amazon to finance my new iPad. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts