What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Find my iPad

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cannot put in my location. Mini keeps telling me my location is unavailable.what does that mean?
Want to have it available for Find my iPad.
Doris

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks twerp poet, yes the location services is turned on.

Hi Doris - not clear - did TP's suggestion about the 'location services' resolve your issue or did you already have 'location services' on and still not able to use 'Find My iPad'? If the latter, have you gone to the iPad Settings -> iCloud and turned on 'Find My iPad'? Dave :)

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Doris - not clear - did TP's suggestion about the 'location services' resolve your issue or did you already have 'location services' on and still not able to use 'Find My iPad'? If the latter, have you gone to the iPad Settings -> iCloud and turned on 'Find My iPad'? Dave :)
No I did not know about turning it on in the cloud.Have not seen that option there. Will go look. Thanks very much. Doris and no it is still not working.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just went into iCloud and the icon is turned on.

Hello again - below is my iPad's iCloud settings w/ arrows showing where this feature should be activated - from your response above, your setting is turned ON - correct? Now, how are you checking to see if 'Find My iPad' is working, i.e. via the iPad (an app or through a browser) or by using another device, such as a computer? Finally, I'm assuming you have an iCloud account w/ a login name and password to check this function? Sorry, some more questions. Dave :)

IMG_4386.PNG

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello again - below is my iPad's iCloud settings w/ arrows showing where this feature should be activated - from your response above, your setting is turned ON - correct? Now, how are you checking to see if 'Find My iPad' is working, i.e. via the iPad (an app or through a browser) or by using another device, such as a computer? Finally, I'm assuming you have an iCloud account w/ a login name and password to check this function? Sorry, some more questions. Dave :)

View attachment 68848
I access it from the app on the home screen,
I guess I don't have an iCloud acct, I just access it from settings.
How do I get that?
Thanks for your help, as you can tell I am not a techie for sure.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I access it from the app on the home screen,
I guess I don't have an iCloud acct, I just access it from settings.
How do I get that?
Thanks for your help, as you can tell I am not a techie for sure.

Hi Doris - well, not sure about 'don't have an iCloud act, I just access it from settings'? Have you setup an iCloud account w/ a login & password? Please see the first image below which is my login iCloud account via the Safari browser on my MBPro laptop - one selection is 'Find iPhone' (note this really means 'Find iDevice' whatever that device may be) - when I click on that, my iPad & my MBPro are located and the options to the right are provided (second image) - if I click on play sound, then my iPad starts binging - tell us if you have gotten that far w/ this feature? BUT, from your statements I'm not sure you have an iCloud account yet? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 7.08.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 7.09.44 PM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have "Find my iPad" enabled in settings (see Dave's screenshots), you have an iCloud account, and it's not necessary to set it up, because it's already there.

In Settings - Privacy - Location Services, scroll to "Find my iPhone". Tap it and make sure you've enabled "While Using the App":
image.jpeg

The Find iPhone app looks like this:
image.jpeg

When you open the app, it will start searching for your location. You can't put it in there for yourself. If everything is working as expected, the app will find your iPad and it's location, and show it on a map.

If you were referring to "Find my iPad" in Settings - iCloud: you can enable it there, you can also enable "Send last location", but it's not possible to set your location there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it is not uncommon for a wi-fi only iPad in a rural area to not know where it is. Wi-fi only iPads depend on nearby wi-fi networks to triangulate a rough location.

If your iPad can not see a wi-fi network, or the ones it does see are not in Apple's locations database, the iPad won't be able to locate itself.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it is not uncommon for a wi-fi only iPad in a rural area to not know where it is. Wi-fi only iPads depend on nearby wi-fi networks to triangulate a rough location.

If your iPad can not see a wi-fi network, or the ones it does see are not in Apple's locations database, the iPad won't be able to locate itself.

Good point! Just looked @ Doris's Profile - she lists her location as Wickenburg, Arizona which is quite near Phoenix (arrow on map) - I'm assuming that there are likely plenty of Wi-Fi networks in the area - so, she needs to look at the posts after her last appearance in this thread and reply back whether any suggestions were useful? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.20.09 PM.png

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have "Find my iPad" enabled in settings (see Dave's screenshots), you have an iCloud account, and it's not necessary to set it up, because it's already there.

In Settings - Privacy - Location Services, scroll to "Find my iPhone". Tap it and make sure you've enabled "While Using the App":
View attachment 68872

View attachment 68873
When you open the app, it will start searching for your location. You can't put it in there for yourself. If everything is working as expected, the app will find your iPad and it's location, and show it on a map.

If you were referring to "Find my iPad" in Settings - iCloud: you can enable it there, you can also enable "Send last location", but it's not possible to set your location there.

View attachment 68872

View attachment 68873

Well, thanks to you both for trying. It still says it can't do my location,and I have done everything you said. Same with find my phone - yes I do have an iCloud
Acct it seems. My icon for Find my phone is on my home page. I suppose I can live without them , have so far .
Many thanks for all your time and help.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point! Just looked @ Doris's Profile - she lists her location as Wickenburg, Arizona which is quite near Phoenix (arrow on map) - I'm assuming that there are likely plenty of Wi-Fi networks in the area - so, she needs to look at the posts after her last appearance in this thread and reply back whether any suggestions were useful? Dave :)
View attachment 68927
I just found your last post! We are not close to Phoenix,close to two hours - and out here in the country, we only have one server , and it is dicey at times, so no choice there. I guess that explains why I have those problems. Good on you for thinking of that. Thanks gain. Doris.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just found your last post! We are not close to Phoenix,close to two hours - and out here in the country, we only have one server , and it is dicey at times, so no choice there. I guess that explains why I have those problems. Good on you for thinking of that. Thanks gain. Doris.

Hi Doris - LOL! Well, I've been to Phoenix a half dozen times and taken day trips to Sedona, Tucson, etc. so a two hour drive in those 'wide open spaces' seems like a short trip - ;) But I am rather surprised at your comment - but no problem - the next time you're in Phoenix, take your iDevices along and see if your can get those services working in some 'free' Wi-Fi hot spot there? Dave :)

Most reactions