Find my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by doris ganton, Nov 16, 2015.

1. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Cannot put in my location. Mini keeps telling me my location is unavailable.what does that mean?
    Want to have it available for Find my iPad.
    Doris

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Go to Settings > Privacy > Locations and make sure location services are turned on.

3. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks twerp poet, yes the location services is turned on.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Doris - not clear - did TP's suggestion about the 'location services' resolve your issue or did you already have 'location services' on and still not able to use 'Find My iPad'? If the latter, have you gone to the iPad Settings -> iCloud and turned on 'Find My iPad'? Dave :)

5. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No I did not know about turning it on in the cloud.Have not seen that option there. Will go look. Thanks very much. Doris and no it is still not working.

6. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just went into iCloud and the icon is turned on.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello again - below is my iPad's iCloud settings w/ arrows showing where this feature should be activated - from your response above, your setting is turned ON - correct? Now, how are you checking to see if 'Find My iPad' is working, i.e. via the iPad (an app or through a browser) or by using another device, such as a computer? Finally, I'm assuming you have an iCloud account w/ a login name and password to check this function? Sorry, some more questions. Dave :)

IMG_4386.PNG

8. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I access it from the app on the home screen,
    I guess I don't have an iCloud acct, I just access it from settings.
    How do I get that?
    Thanks for your help, as you can tell I am not a techie for sure.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Doris - well, not sure about 'don't have an iCloud act, I just access it from settings'? Have you setup an iCloud account w/ a login & password? Please see the first image below which is my login iCloud account via the Safari browser on my MBPro laptop - one selection is 'Find iPhone' (note this really means 'Find iDevice' whatever that device may be) - when I click on that, my iPad & my MBPro are located and the options to the right are provided (second image) - if I click on play sound, then my iPad starts binging - tell us if you have gotten that far w/ this feature? BUT, from your statements I'm not sure you have an iCloud account yet? Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 7.08.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 7.09.44 PM.png

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have "Find my iPad" enabled in settings (see Dave's screenshots), you have an iCloud account, and it's not necessary to set it up, because it's already there.

In Settings - Privacy - Location Services, scroll to "Find my iPhone". Tap it and make sure you've enabled "While Using the App":
    image.jpeg

The Find iPhone app looks like this:
    image.jpeg
    When you open the app, it will start searching for your location. You can't put it in there for yourself. If everything is working as expected, the app will find your iPad and it's location, and show it on a map.

If you were referring to "Find my iPad" in Settings - iCloud: you can enable it there, you can also enable "Send last location", but it's not possible to set your location there.