What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Good File Management with GoodReaderUSB

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Used daily here.
So much so that I rarely sync my iPad now through iTunes and it's only to backup new apps bought through the iPad.
Anything I need to keep on the iPad gets thrown through it for speed.

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoodReaderUSB is a Windows and Mac app that allows you to drag and drop files into GoodReader including full folder stuctures and much better file management.

You can also use it as a WiFi transfer utility - and it can act as a web server for the purpose of copying files from your iPad over wireless LAN.

I also use it daily.

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Num, thanks for this. I am excited to try it out tomorrow (after two Smithwicks, I'm too relaxed to mess with getting hooked up to my pc:))

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or just jailbreak n get Ifiles from cydia which is the best PC/Mac style file explorer/file management app of them all ;-)

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANKS!!! Goodreadusb is awesome I love it! THANKS!!!

Three quick questions about goodreader and goodreaderusb:

1- Will goodreader only play .mp4 files?
2- where do i get the windows version of goodreaderusb to download?
3- I did the wifi transfer with goodreader too from pc to pad but can i go from pad to pc? if so how?

THANKS!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Not sure, never tried videos throught Good Reader

2) Google Goodreaderusb.exe. There are a lot of sites available that have it. You just have to decide which one you like best. Worse comes to worse, PM me and I'll help you get it...(I don't remember from which site I got it)

3) Yes. There really are two ways. (1) There is a wifi symbol in Goodreader. I fyou press on it, while on the same LAN as your PC/Mac, it'll open a file transfer process. But, even GoodReader will tell you that's a slow process. I'd recommend getting (2) online storage - like Dropbox. Then, you can upload files all day and access them via your PC/Mac.

GoodReaderUSB will make it so you can go back and forth. The actual easiest way is to get that...

Good luck.

Marilyn

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score

2) Google Goodreaderusb.exe. There are a lot of sites available that have it. You just have to decide which one you like best. Worse comes to worse, PM me and I'll help you get it...(I don't remember from which site I got it)

3) Yes. There really are two ways. (1) There is a wifi symbol in Goodreader. I fyou press on it, while on the same LAN as your PC/Mac, it'll open a file transfer process. But, even GoodReader will tell you that's a slow process. I'd recommend getting (2) online storage - like Dropbox. Then, you can upload files all day and access them via your PC/Mac.

GoodReaderUSB will make it so you can go back and forth. The actual easiest way is to get that...

Good luck.

Marilyn

THANKS for your help and info! One thing I never used drobox. You set it up on computer/pad and then drop and drag basically and it will showup as fast as it can download on either device?

Is there a way to get files to auto sync on the computer to the dropbox folder?

thanks!!

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just checked, and the download links in the first post still work.

Enjoy!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
THANKS for your help and info! One thing I never used drobox. You set it up on computer/pad and then drop and drag basically and it will showup as fast as it can download on either device?

thanks!!

The basics:

Dropbox is a cloud storage system. There is a [free] app in the App Store for it (appropriately, called Dropbox). You can sign up for 2GB of free storage (you can get up to 100GB, but it's a pay account then). You can get all the details about Dropbox at Dropbox - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.. Very detailed web site that can explain way better than I.

In a nutshell, Dropbox provides a program you install on your PC (I assume Mac also, but I don't have a Mac...). Essentially, it creates a virtual file folder on your PC that you can drag-n-drop files to, just like any other folder on your PC.

It's a little more complicated to get files from your iPad to Dropbox, but not by much. Goodreader is one of the better apps that easily talks to Dropbox (both for uploads and for downloads).

There are many threads that talk about Dropbox and how to use it. May I suggest you search for them rather than me re-typing all the details?

Bottom line: The Dropbox website + a few searches here will teach you what you need to know about cloud-based computing via Dropbox. Then - you'll know just enough to be about as dangerous as the rest of us! :D

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marilyn

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thanks!!

The basics:

Dropbox is a cloud storage system. There is a [free] app in the App Store for it (appropriately, called Dropbox). You can sign up for 2GB of free storage (you can get up to 100GB, but it's a pay account then). You can get all the details about Dropbox at Dropbox - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.. Very detailed web site that can explain way better than I.

In a nutshell, Dropbox provides a program you install on your PC (I assume Mac also, but I don't have a Mac...). Essentially, it creates a virtual file folder on your PC that you can drag-n-drop files to, just like any other folder on your PC.

It's a little more complicated to get files from your iPad to Dropbox, but not by much. Goodreader is one of the better apps that easily talks to Dropbox (both for uploads and for downloads).

There are many threads that talk about Dropbox and how to use it. May I suggest you search for them rather than me re-typing all the details?

Bottom line: The Dropbox website + a few searches here will teach you what you need to know about cloud-based computing via Dropbox. Then - you'll know just enough to be about as dangerous as the rest of us! :D

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marilyn

THANKS for all the info! 100% will search it out and try it :)

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good luck.

Marilyn

Does anyone know if I can use itunes and or goodreader on my mac (which I can) but then add goodreaderusb.exe to another computer a PC and transfer files to goodreader? in essence sync the ipad between to computers?

thanks

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sillyrabbitt123 said:
Does anyone know if I can use itunes and or goodreader on my mac (which I can) but then add goodreaderusb.exe to another computer a PC and transfer files to goodreader? in essence sync the ipad between to computers?

thanks

I sync a lot of items between my iPad, iPhone, home PC and work laptop using Dropbox.

Use this link to get a free Dropbox account with an extra 250 MB of free space
on top of the free 2 GB.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Thank you. The info for the DB account is much appreciated.

Do you know if its also possible with goodreaderusb.exe? Do I need itunes on my pc or will goodreaderusb.exe work by just hooking the ipad to the pc?

i guess the real question is it a problem to have itunes, ipad2 and my mac as the main sync vehicle then start using goodreaderusb.exe with a total and separate computer that doesnt even have itunes on it?

do you need itunes for goodreaderusb.exe to work?

thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts